Under The Kitchen Sink!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Maureen

Hi guys, need some input here!

Okay, so I've made the mess under my kitchen sink last for last 8 years. It's now time to change the waste pipes out! They're failing fast. No wonder, they are a mess of ABS and PVC.

Most is ABS, is original. The disposer line was jerry rigged into the ABS, using pvc. That's the point that's failing right now. But, the ABS P Trap is starting to go also. Dishwasher and disposer were ummmm 'retrofitted' Brand new disposer installed a few months ago.

Common sense tells me to cut it all off after the P trap, going to the drain line and rebuild with ABS only.

Am I wrong or right? Any thing new out there that will make the job easier? The kitchen sink has been the last nightmare I've had to tackle in this home that was jerry rigged! Plumbing is one of our last major projects! Pex will be coming, but we have buffalo board for a belly. That means that it will take 4 days to install the lines, and a month to fix the belly!

All other waste lines are ABS. All info is welcome! The olny thing I have done to this sink is install shut offs. I can't even begin to describe the mess the former owner made under that sink! It's a nightmare!

Maureen 8)
JD
Site Admin

I like using all ABS, mostly because I don't like the thin walled white stuff that comes in the packaged "kits". ABS also magically disappears when you look under the sink, like puppeteers.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Maureen, Just a thought since I cannot see what you are working with. Is there any way you can work on the drain lines from the top side? Most cabinets (unless they have been changed) are mushboard, now would be a good time to put a plywood bottom in the sink cabinet. That may allow you to get to what you need to change. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi Maureen

Yes...I would stay with ABS.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi Maureen,

I am with JD, stay with the ABS.

Those white replacement kits are real junk!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Guys,

Yep, thought that ABS was still the best thing out there. It's just nice to get other's opinions before tackling something you haven't done in 20 years!

Greg, when I get the total remodel going for the kitchen, I'll rip out the formica counter, but that ain't happening right now! First, what ever I come up with for that counter, has to match whatever I do to the 12x6 breakfast bar, cook top area. It sits at an angle and has rounded corners for safety. I love it, and refuse to get rid of it! However, it really limits my options for counters!

Before Tom passed away, he found a stone based paint of sorts. I think my best bet is to get the cooktop I want first. Have my youngest brother tile that tiny area around it, and try the this stuff. The match the tile to the sink area. We want to move part of our kitchen into the family room/wet bar area... more of a gathering room. It's a huge reno that will evolve over time!

All of our cabinets and counters are in great shape! I've got 3 doors under the kitchen sink. Plenty of room for a 5'1" old lady to crawl under. The fridge is at the end of the counter, up against a wall. It's a side by side, and it ain't working right there! We're going to move it kitty corner, out into the family room, where both doors open freely. The space were the fridge is now, will house an appliance garage, the microwave, and more storage!

All I need to do is get both boys outta the house, find the time and money at the same time, and I'll be in business!

Thanks again folks!

Maureen 8)
Robert

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/kitchdrainkit.htm

It don't get any easier than this. Then add ABS as needed to complete drainline.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Greg

Maureen, What I meant was to replace just the bottom shelf of the cabinet. Usually under the sink it gets damp and bows down anyway. if this is starting to happen you will need to change it sooner or later. and it may make access a little easer. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."