bathtub and shower moulding: first post

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

laurencole

hello all! this is my first post--i'm excited that there is a resource for people with tricky manufactured homes :D so last year, my husband and i purchased a new Giles DW. we knew Giles was a low-end manufacturer but we had a very tight budget. the craftmanship ended up being really poor in many areas of the home but the "repair" guys just covered up what the builders had done, rather than fixing it. that's the story with a lot of our problems, but i have a specific one about the mouldings around our tub and showers.

i guess this plastic moulding is used standard on manufactured homes, but ours wasn't installed correctly because of some lazy mistakes. i'll do my best to describe it: the master bathroom tub is not flush against the wall because the wall is uneven behind it, i think because of uneven studs or something. so there is this 3/4 inch gap behind the tub that slowly closes up farther down the tub on the same wall...the builder/worker's solution was to attempt to fasten the moulding to the wall with finishing nails in a haphazard and, of course, ugly way :x the kids have been splashing water behind it this whole time but we just can't figure out what to do about it to make it water tight and attractive, short of starting over completely with a new tub. because it's only held on with finishing nails, it's one good tug away from coming off completely. also, the seams of this plastic moulding are "disguised" with water soluble caulk, so that is being washed away as well :? i don't know what they were thinking but i'm afraid the floors underneath the tub and showers are rotting because they're not sealed at all. have any of you had this problem? any ideas on what we should do? can we get some more of this moulding stuff somehow and seal it correctly ourselves? thanks for any tips!
Greg

Hi & welcome to the family.
It sounds to me like you have a few possible choices.
First, you could contact the manufacturer, if the wall is not flat you are never going to get it sealed up correctly. They may (and should)be willing to help.
Second, lots of caulk to try to seal it
Third, If you get no where with the dealer or manufacturer tear into it your self. You will have the satisfaction of knowing it was done and done right. If the wall is not flat that will have to be the first thing done. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Demolition

One brand of caulk we use is DAP... DAP is your friend.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town