Stand Alone Roof-Over

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Busybee1952

Today, I spent a lot of time looking through old posts about roof-overs and either I missed it, or there isn't a lot of information on stand-alone roof-overs.

If anyone has plans, pictures, etc., I would be interested in seeing them. The kind of roof-over I am talking about has posts in the ground all the way around the mobile and then a metal roof on trusses on top. In my case, I would want to make it wider than my 14' mobile so that I would have coverage over a slide out.

Anybody?
Thanks.
Pat
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Yanita

Hi!

Long time no "see". Hope all is well with you. Must be summer finally hit your area and you are ready to tackle more projects.

As for the pole barn style roof over I do not think there are alot post specific to the construction of them. Most folks either do a metal roof over as Mark has in his manual or other type's. Most MH's are in parks, although many I know are not.

If I am not mistaken check in the general photos, I believe Mark has several pics of some from Florida.

To be sure you are not going to try this on your own :wink: or are you :?:

Take care,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Pat, I would check some of the home centers that have Pole barn kits, all you are doing is builbing a LONG pole barn with no sides. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Busybee1952

Hi Yanita,
Yeah, it's finally spring, I hope. However, we did have frost on both May 28 and 29th. My roof-over project is in the wishing stages at this point and I'm looking for some unique ideas. I have a 19'slab of cement in front of the trailer that I'd like a roof over as well so that I can make an outdoor kitchen for canning and taking care of all the garden stuff in the summer. Hopefully, I could screen it in to keep the bugs out. Maybe I could even get that roof over the deck I wanted too. Since it will be financed, I don't think the bank will let me do the work myself but I bet I could set the posts myself if I tried. Muahahaha
Pole barns with no sides? Hmm, I guess it is. Thanks Greg!
Pat
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
JD
Site Admin

Hi Pat,

I was a pole barn builder in the late 70's working for Spannie, Town & Country and Western Farmers. I would recommend getting approved plans. They are easy to build as building goes, but the trusses are quite specific as to bolt/nail placement, webbing placement, etc. Here is a link to a company that sells plans for pole barns for $50 - $70. You would have blueprints to use to get a permit or to fight county if they find out that you did not pull a permit. You would also have an itemized material list which is very useful. You can fax it to different material suppliers and ask them to bid the materials for delivery.

Looking at that web site, they must build them differently than we did in Washington State. They state that they place trusses at 4' o.c. Our barns were built with mammoth trusses bolted to the posts (poles) at 12' o.c., using purlins 24" o.c. This plan company also use purlins at 24" o.c. So I am thinking their trusses connect to the top of the wall similar to the way a house is built, but I am having a hard time figuring out how they do that.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Robert

You're getting bad as me JD about forgetting to place the link in the post, LOL.

Young age is creeping up on us. :wink:

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Busybee1952

Oh yeah, this project will be all legal-like with zoning and building permits and all work done to code. I'm getting younger too Robert, and don't want to fight city hall. I think one of my concerns is that the roof over will be tall enough so that if I decide to get a different mobile someday, the old one can be pulled out and the new one put in under the roof-over structure. Also, I don't want it to look all plain but don't want to spend a ton extra either.
JD
Site Admin

Yeah, that old age stuff doesn't effect me. ummm what was I going to say?? Oh yeah, the link is

http://www.abcopolebarns.com/1.html

JD (remembers when the rocks were still soft)
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Busybee1952

Thanks for that link JD. Here is what I have found so far. Steel prices have increased by 15% and are about to go up again but lumber is as low as it's been since 1992.

This first picture shows a conventional stand alone roof-over and they have a slide out too, just like me. No offense to the folks who had this done but it just looks ugly to me and is not what I want. It may be all I can afford though.

This is sort of cute if you take out all the walls and doors. The trailer would fit under the middle part and the slide out on one side and the porch on the other side of the wings. Maybe too tall in the center though?

This looks pretty good. Picture it with no walls, 84' long with 20' of patio in front , 64' of trailer behind that, and the 10' wide wing facing you only being 30' long to cover the front patio and deck. The other wing would also be 10' wide and cover the slide out, a door, and another area all the way to the back. Might be real expensive. I wonder if all the posts have to be 4 x 6 or if they can be 4 x 4's and can they be white?
JD
Site Admin

Hi Pat,

If you are using wood for the framing, I am pretty sure they will be 6x6 pressure treated. You can paint pressure treated if you give it a year or so to "cure"

The last 2 pictures you showed are huge buildings and would be very costly. If you built a simple pole barn roof that was high enough and had a 2'-3' overhang over your home, your could attach low pitched awnings to the sides of that. I think that would look pretty good. The awnings could be built out of the same type of materials if you like.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Brenda (OH)

Hi Pat!

Glad to see you made it through winter.

Are you making this covered roof big enough that you can park a vehicle under cover also and place the parking so that you can walk to the door out of the weather? if it doesn't add that much more cost to get the carport function out of it, the planning stage is the time to consider it.....

I am still chasing a leak in a mh roof of one I am selling, wish I could just do a roof over and be done, but not possible for the situation. time to pay the repair guy to go back up top....lol

Brenda (OH)
Yanita

HI Pat,

In the first pic, think it has blue metal roof, you said it was ugly. Well I am not going to totally disagree, but here are a few thoughts on the "prettying" it up. Hmmm, is that a word?

Anyways if you went with the simple structure you could always add some architectural designs/elements to it that are easily removable should you want to replace the mh latter on. Things like all the porch trims...ginger bread stuff they call it around here.

LOL, all those post would be great places to hang potted plants!

Just some thoughts,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!