We need a new roof!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gram2logan

The current (and original from the 60's) is metal. The house is a double wide, about 53 x 22. Hubby wants to either put on whole new metal roof. That would mean taking off the old metal.

Or........ building a new pitched roof with trusses, etc. Our neighbor has a rubber roof and said it weighs as much as a pitched roof with shingles.

I'm concerned about the added weight. What would you guys recommend for new roof? We thought about getting the rubber kind, but have been told that if tree limbs fall on it, it can get torn and would have to be patched. We have trees by the house so that wouldn't be good.

I'm leaning towards new metal roof. Can a new one be put over the existing one or not?

Thanks!
Stop talking before people stop listening!
Greg

Weight is an issue, but you already knew that. I would be tempted to opt for the metal roof also.
Mark has a section on reroofing in his book. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

You're right about rubber roofs being able to tear from tree limbs. I have seen it happen on galvanized metal roofs too, but the rubber roofs will tear much easier. I do think that rubber roofs are a viable product, but you need to know what you are getting. They make PVC and rubber roofs in different thicknesses at different price ranges. The type of insulation board and the condition of the existing metal roof has a lot to do with how good of a rubber roof you would get.

You can put a new rolled roof on top of the existing roof. You would want to use mobile home aluminum roof material. The seams you see every 3' or so are expansion seam in the metal. You can get that roof material at http://www.all-rite.com/. Maybe there is another dealer closer to you.

And there is the roof that Mark shows in the manual. Seems that a lot of people coming to the forum has gone that route and are very happy with their roofs.

I have installed all 3 roof products and a composition shingle roof is in a different league when it comes to weight over aluminum or a "rubber" roof

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Demolition

You mentioned building a new pitched roof with trusses. Do you mean like a Roof that is not really attached to the house. but is more like making a Carport over the house?

If so. That is not a bad idea. The roof will keep the sun off the house making it easier to keep cool in the summer. Just have to make sure it is sturdy. If not the thing will fall and put big dents in the house.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
JD
Site Admin

I also wanted to add that the aluminum rolled roof material does not sit directly on top of the existing roof. You need some type of insulator between the two metals. Generally, a 2x4 is nailed down flat to the perimeter edge of the roof, around vents and along the ridge cap. You then fill the void on top of the roof with foam board insulation. I would recommend 2" polyiso board. The 2" board makes a nice bevel at the roof edge which will resist ponding. 2" of polyiso foam board from the home stores will also give you about R-15 insulation. There are higher densities available, but this is the most common. You can also cover the polyiso with a radiant barrier like Reflectix. This would add an additional R-2 and work as a barrier for radiant heat. The edges are held down with standard mobile home drip rail and is installed the same way as it is on the factory roof. Most installers will install the drip edge to the aluminum roof just past the existing drip edge of the galvanized roof. This gives you a fresh start against edge leaks.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
gram2logan

Thanks for your replies. Check this site out and look at some of the pictures. That's what we had in mind for the new metal roof. There are several stick built homes in this area with this roofing and they look really good. Last forever too.

http://www.chicagosbestroof.com/

As for what I said about a new pitched roof, no it wouldn't be free standing like a carport. It would be attached. The existing roof would be removed first.

This is still in the planning stages and cost among other things will be a big factor.
Melitta

Hope you don't mind if I add in my 2 cents here. We had planned on putting a new metal roof on last summer. We had already scheduled a mobile home roofing company to come out and put the roof on. There was a little bit of a wait (they had to come in from Oklahoma or Arkansas) so in the mean time we ordered Mark's book and checked out the roof section. After looking at his book and his detailed pictures, I cancelled the roofing company and we did the roof ourselves. Mark's book saved us about $2000. We got a better grade of sheet metal and better insulation. The only down fall...I can no longer hear the rain hitting the roof. I love that sound!
gram2logan

Well, my husband's plan is to replace the metal with new metal. He is going to do it himself with the help of a carpenter friend. The friend knows where to buy the metal in a nearby town. I know it would cost way more than we want to pay to have it done by a roofing company!!

Thanks!