Condensation? Do I need to replace the subfloor?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cat0

I bought this 9 year old mobile home 4 years ago and have been slowly cleaning up the damage from the original owners and their numerous pets. I pulled back the den carpet (to be replaced) while I was working on painting the walls, and found the carpet, pad, and subfloor were actually wet dead-center of the room (about 18 inches across). I threw out the carpet, poured bleach on the floor (it was gross), and watched it get dry, wet, dry, wet over the next few days. So I called a plumber. He said there is no plumbing anywhere near it (I'm not very good at this), finally cut from the underside, and said the insulation and floor are absolutely dry. He was stumped.

I had thought about putting nice vinyl down in here instead of carpet to keep it cleaner, but now I'm not sure what I'm dealing with. The floor is stamped I think "Oriented Structure Board".

The humidity just kicked in and I turned on the a/c. The floor has dried up some, but looks wet when I open the windows back up. This is not a roof leak. Is this condensation? Could this be coming back to an old pet-accident? Do I need to replace this piece of floor?
Harry

Hi

The first thing I would do is take a trip downunder with a bright light and do an inspection. Have someone topside incase of an emergency.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
cat0

Harry wrote:Hi

The first thing I would do is take a trip downunder with a bright light and do an inspection. Have someone topside incase of an emergency.

Harry
Thanks, Harry -- the plumber already did so (I'm too claustrophobic). But the insulation and floor are perfectly dry below, and no sign of any water stains.

If there was anyone else here I would think that a glass of water had been poured on the carpet. I wonder if once the subfloor gets wet if it always attracts moisture?
Carol
JD
Site Admin

Sounds like a real mystery. It might be good to get a second opinion. If the plumber saw the bottom of the subfloor, maybe he was in the wrong spot? Did he repair his opening in the underbelly? If this floor is dry underneath the wet spot, and it is not a roof leak or condensation problem from an opening in the AC duct, I would not have a clue.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Demolition

The water could... in theory... be seeping in from the sides and running to the middle. Is the floor soft there?

Before you put down vinyl the flooring guys might cover the floor with Luann (brand name for thin thin plyboard). This is so the floor will be really smooth for the vinyl.

If you are getting a flooring estimate, point out the spot in the floor during the estimate. They will know what to look for.

Vinyl needs a real smooth surface to lay on. Otherwise all the imperfections will show thru after the floor is walked on. There is a saying in the flooring business... Carpet Hides a Multitude of Sins. So the floor dont have to be As Perfect to put down carpet.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
cat0

JD wrote:Did he repair his opening in the underbelly?
JD
Yes, with black duct tape. I know, now I have to order the stuff to repair it myself.
cat0

Demolition wrote:The water could... in theory... be seeping in from the sides and running to the middle. Is the floor soft there?
Not sure what "soft" means, there is only one wet spot in the middle of the floor and no water stains coming from the walls. If it ever really rains again I'll be able to see it since I have nothing on the floor now.
The carpet/pad (in very bad shape from animals) was soggy in that one spot. I thought that once the subfloor was dried out it would be fine. Problem is, the spot on the floor now seems to attract moisture and show up as wet (I think with humidity when I don't run the a/c). Does this type of subfloor get ruined when it gets wet so it will always attract moisture?
Demolition wrote:Before you put down vinyl the flooring guys might cover the floor with Luann (brand name for thin thin plyboard). This is so the floor will be really smooth for the vinyl..
Is covering it up ok then if I have it done when it is dried out? I worry about mold. I did pour bleach on it.
Demolition wrote:There is a saying in the flooring business... Carpet Hides a Multitude of Sins. So the floor dont have to be As Perfect to put down carpet.
You may have swayed me. But I can't put carpet back down over it unless I know I have the problem licked.
Carolyn