underbelly question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

fargoman

My underbelly is in horrible shape, it has buffalo board on it.

The previous owner stuck sheets of particle board between the steel frame members to hold it up. The particle board is really sagging.

Since the center is in such bad shape i was thinking of starting all over with new material. I realize this is a very tough job but I'm up for it.

Could I use reflectix for the insulation and put the belly material over the reflectix?

Here is a links about reflectix http://www.reflectixinc.com/technology/benefits.asp

Thank you
Greg

Since it does tend to get a little "chilly" where you are, I would use fiberglass insulation between the floor joists, remember it should be able to breath.
Others will have more ideas for you. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
fargoman

Thanks for your help :)
fargoman

Got a few more questions for the forum.

I know the insulation can't be between the joist. Can they touch the joist or much they hang lower so they don't touch? 2 electrical wiries are hanging on the ground under the home. Now to me this dosen't seem normal. Should it be stapled to the floor joist up inside the belly?

I have marks book had a question on something in it. Page 1-4 where it says to drag the insulation blanket under the home. How can I do that with the axles in the way? What did some of you guys do?

Thank you for your help :D
fargoman

I guess the wire is from an electical outlet laying on the ground. It's coming out of the fuse box laying on the ground. The electrical outlet is on the end of the wire.

No one responded,sorry if I was asking the wrong things. I'm just new at underbelly work. It's something new for me. I've done subfloor and window frame before.

Brad
JD
Site Admin

Hi Brad.

From my experience, some mobile homes will use duct work for air returns, some use a hollow space between joists running lengthways with the home and some use the underbelly area. The ones that use the underbelly will have the big bulge in the middle of each unit.

I have used the spray adhesive and poly sheet style underbelly that is sold through the Books & Parts link above on the poly sheet, buffalo board and the cardboard type underbelly. I find it works well on all three. Getting around the axles is just a pain. I often think, "This will be impossible", but when you get in there and snake around you will find a way. If the bottom of the siding is lower than 24" it can be very difficult. I won't even bid a job when the home is that low. 28" - 30" is good. Higher is a piece of cake.

Don't know what to say about the electrical without looking at it. But if it has current, it does not belong on the ground.

Hope this helps,

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
fargoman

Thanks JD it helped a bunch. I'm just in the planning phase right now. When I start I'll take it slow and easy
Busybee1952

Fargoman, you have your work cut out for you as I did this job last year for my Michigan mobile home. You might want to check out some of my posts about it. Good luck and allow 5 x more time to do the job than your highest estimate of how long it will take.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
fargoman

thank you I'll do that