took 10 years to ask this...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

well, we have a 1997 redman singlewide that has the cathedral ceilings thruout the home, EXCEPT the 2nd bedroom on the far end and its bathroom, which have low flat ceilings. why are they flat on that end???
Greg

This is strictly a guess, but cathedral ceilings were probably an option, so to save a little money it was ordered with flat ceilings for the "lesser used" rooms. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hmmm,

Good question, never really thought about it before, our singlewide had cathedral in the living room and kitchen, then flat in baths and bedrooms.

Mark, JD, any reasoning or theories behind this, does an all cathedral ceiling home cost more than flat ceilings?

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

I have never really thought about it but that is the way all cathedral ceiling homes I have seen are built. On one of my recent jobs, the home had cathedral in the living, dining room and kitchen and then at the far end in the large master bedroom, but the mst bath, utility room, hall and the other two bedrooms had trusses and flat ceilings. The home I put the hall skylight in was the same as above, except the hall was also cathedral.

I can't see a major cost difference on a per room basis, but it would seem to me that it would be cheaper to manufacture all one way or the other.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Jim from Canada

Were the flat ceilings added at a later date? The reason I ask is that my 14x70 redman (1988) has cathedrals throughout. It just maybe a modification, from the factory or another owner. It may be worth your while to do a bit of inspecting. Perhaps remove enough ceiling in a closet to see.

Jim
Maureen

Just my 2 cents here....

I've never seen a stick built or a mobile that had cathedral ceilings throughout the home. Most cathedral ceilings are located in the living area and master suite.

I don't know the reason, but I guess that it's more cost efficient!

Maureen 8)
Harry

Hi

Also:

Flat ceilings mean less air to cool/heat and more attic space for insulation.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?

the only thing I can think of, is theres some HVAC stuff in the flat areas, because the flat ceiling starts just in front of where the heater is. also, the only eave (or soffit) on the mobile home is on that end with ventilation panels underneath for airflow. could this be why? maybe theres a larger dead air space to meet ventilation requirements?
klm9707

No answers here but now you have me curious also. I just moved out of a 1999 14X70 with cathedral throughout and now in a 28X56 also with cathedral throughout. I thought maybe it had something to do with being cost effective.
scottman

I have a 2003 Skyline with cathedral ceilings thruout. realtors make it quite the selling point to say that. However, the ceilings are made all in one long "piece" then at some point attached to the outer walls of the house. That is why my house has the crown molding thruout, another realtor "plus" when in fact it hides the builders mistakes! To make rooms ceilings flat would require a separate process and more expense. However that 10-15 feet of attic space in some homes is a waste of space to me ... I'd rather put up ceiling fans or something that's "inside" the home. My ceiling is 12 feet above the floor near the marriage line!
kashton

I know I am new here, but I would like to add to this from years of being in the construction trade. Flat ceilings are way more cost efficient. With the price of lumber, and the extra cost of having anyone install paneling or drywall to a cathedral or vaulted ceiling is outrageous. I have yet to work on any job(house or trailer) that has cathedral ceilings throughout. I even know a couple who refused to pay our price to drywall their vaulted ceiling, and guess what. We were the only ones that would give them a price, so their ceiling is still unfinished after three years.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!

perhaps once I figure out how to post a picture I will get one posted... :)
Sylvia

So, can you take the flat rooms and make them cathedral ceiling rooms? I want my now master bedroom to become my dining room, new master will be located in the lower level now. The ceiling height is cathedral in the ajoining living room.
Yanita

Hi Sylvia,

I think it would be best to ask your question in a seperate thread.

I am going to lock this thread off, it's getting rather lengthy. Should anyone like to add more comments, ideas, whatever please start a new one.

Thanks and have a great day! :D

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!