My telephone booth shower stall

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

I can't bend over and pick up the soap without my head hitting the opposite side of the shower. :roll: So, of course I have to RIP IT OUT!

The lower picture shows that the stall drain is raised up off the floor about 7 inches.
Without tearing it out, do you think that the "P" trap is above the floor level or would they have just used a long neck.
I know this shower was cheap, but 26 Inches is REEE-DICULOUS.

I have 60 inches to the left and want to put in a 60 inch stall and maybe 32 or 34 inches deep. I looked at some4-piece units at Lowes that would do the job.

Lord, I can't even lift both arms at the same time. I took out the glass doors some time ago and put in a curtain that would expand as I move.

Also, being raised off the floor it is hard to step DOWN to the floor level is you are OLD like me.

I would love a flat floor shower that is all tile like they show on DIY, but it would cost half the price of the house.

Does anyone have a Telephone Booth shower like this one?

It's Guttin Time Again.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg

Lorne, you should be able to look down the drain and see the trap, that will tell you if it is an extention or the trap. You may have to remove the screen usually held in with a screw to see. If you are going to remodel, set it up the way YOU want it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

I agree with Greg as far as setting up the way it will be best for you...BUT, I disagree with using tile in your shower/tub area. You can do a search here on site to see all the reasons why.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Lorne

Yanita, I can imagine. Flexing would be a problem among others I'm sure.
I also want to make it easier to get in and out for seniors, in case we ever sell. though I expect this will be our last house and I just be buried in the crawl space.
Got to save money ya know.

I'll let you know when I start DESTROYING my bathroom.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Harry

Hey Lorne

Sounds like you need "soap-on-a-rope".

With my back and war wounds if I drop the soap it don't get picked up right away.....

You'll probably need to spend some time downunder replumbing....no biggie.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hey Lorne,

I completely understand...LOL, we are in the middle of renovating our guest/common bath. Thankfully new plywood floor was installed prior to our purchasing but as I thought they did not go under the tub. No biggie, it all fixed now. We did though have to remove a couple walls, redo all the plumbing...hey make it your way right, well everything got shifted over a wall. Alot of plumbing had to be changed to accommodate the new location of the commode and the sink. Also the tub now has an over flow...

Our master bath has already been remodeled and that has shower only, no tub. Our shower is made by moen I think. It is almost large enough for 2 people, a couple of built in corner seats, works real well. LOL, at least you can bend over if need be.

Hey Harry, they still make the soap on a rope huh? Remember that stuff when I was kid.

Everyone have a great holiday weekend.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hey Yanita

Soap-on-a-rope is still around ..... big time.

There must be a lot of people that don't want to "drop the soap".

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Robin

We have a shower similar to this - I hate the thing. My husband showers and I take a bath, love my big tub! He has had back surgery twice and his right foot doesn't work right, so he has a problem bathing his feet and legs. The shower is small enough, he puts his head against the wall for a prop and washes his feet. Of course, over time, the shower wall has cracked and I'm quite sure the wall behind, as well as the floor, is getting wet. It is in my plans for demolition. I want to replace it with a larger shower with a corner seat, to make it easier for hubby.

I'm thinking of what's best for him, but when he learns of my plans, he'll swear it's a conspiracy to spend all HIS money! LOL