Daylight Savings Time

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Yanita

Hi folks,

Just a reminder to turn those clocks ahead one hour before you go to bed tonight!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Manitoba Bill

I haven't seen it brought up but what happens to electronic equipment that has the first Sunday in April as the change date.

Seems to me that my VCR's, etc. will change to another hour ahead and will be wrong. It would be like they think I am on eastern time instead of central standard time.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Maureen

Thanks Yanita! I meant to get on the computer earlier today! It's Saturday, and that belongs to bridzillas this time of year!

Yes Bill, that is the big question down here in the states right now! How many clocks to we over ride with the new time change? We've all got so many devises that use clocks these days! From microwaves and VCR's, that are pretty much old school... computers and cell phones, that update the time change automatically. What's a person to do! Ahhhhh!

Personally, I'm taking the easy approach. Those clocks that set automatically, will catch up in 3 weeks. These days, I already have to set too many clocks manually! Microwave, oven, alarm clocks, house clocks, watches, and my trucks clock. OMG, I hadn't even thought about the digital clocks on the TV's! I figure that I can just do the math for 3 weeks! Thank goodness, they've only messed with the end of Daylight savings time by a week in the Fall!

No matter what folks! Don't forget to change batteries in your smoke detectors! Also inspect your CO detectors! They only have a life span of 4 to 5 years, before they need to be replaced!

While you're at it, why not find out where your main water shut off is located! Mark designated a day in April, right after the old time change to do this. It's just as important. Both water and fire are our homes biggest enemies!

Maureen 8)
Yanita

Hi,

Don't recall what OS you are using on PC, but I know that microsoft put out a hotfix for XP sp2 last week. Go to the microsoft homepage.

As for my other electronics I will do the math as Maureen is going to do.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Manitoba Bill

I'm using XP with SP2 and the download I got last week did change the clock at 2 a.m. Sunday.
I assume it will also change back in Nov.

I agree with Maureen's good suggestion about letting some electronics do the change over in 3 weeks. and set the manual ones as needed.

Although it is past the time change, here is the page for the patches, pick your OS.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/dst_hu1

As someone once said, "It's all a matter of time".
Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once! LOL
[color=red]
Greg

To quote Chicago, "Does anybody really know what time it is, does anybody really care?" - Just the boss!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

From the song "If you've got the money honey, I've got the time" ...

Written by Lefty Frizzell
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Maureen

Got a pleasant surprise today! All computers, except youngest son's updated right on time!

The rest will change in 3 weeks. Until then, I'll go real old school and use a watch! I don't tape or TiVo anything, so it works for me! I do have to change the clock in my truck though!

Maureen 8)
moondog52

I have only 2 copper pennies worth of notions to consider ...

Arizona is still the only sane state on this subject ... we don't change. Well, except for the reservation up by four corners.

Congress has already decreed this as an "experiment" and may change it back in 1 or 2 years ... ho boy, taxes at work!

Personally I don't care care much ... when then sun comes in my window in the morning I tend to wake up. But it's been a mini y2k at work updating all our clients servers across the USA and Canada ...
I deserve a vacation now ;)

Brad, a bit outside of Tucson ... who wonders if there is enuff time left to be jerking it around like this ...
Manitoba Bill

I'm not sure when or why, but my XP time was moved ahead another hour today.
Maybe the clock I have on the desktop went online and checked the time.
[color=red]
Maureen

Hi Moondog,

I can only imagine the mess of taking care of servers! LOL, I'm waiting for the papers to be signed to sell my company! We've been in negotiations for 2 months now. I'm hoping for next week!

Hey Bill, I'm not sure why it changed your clock twice! Change it manually, and then keep an eye on it! I'm sure you're already doing this anyway LOL!

Maureen 8)