outlet won't work......

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Kyle

Well..................yesterday I was vaccuming and the vacuum starts acting weird. I had to go to the next room so I unplugged it and plugged it in to the bathroom outlet, I thought I felt a shock :shock: .
Next thing I know the outlet isn't working. It had worked before. All the breakers were on. I was now afraid of the vacuum, :shock: (hey, I am 13 for pete sake). Did the vacuum cause the outlet to mess up and is the outlet a fire hazard?! :evil:
thanks
Harry

Hi

You may have a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) in the circuit. Reset it. They look like this:

If it keeps tripping I'd get an electrician to repair so the MH doesn't burn down and or someone gets hurt.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Demolition

If you did feel a shock throw away the vacuum cleaner. You did not mention if this was in a new mobile home or an older house. My mobile home was built in the 1960's. I ended up just putting all new wiring and a new breaker box in. I put the new wiring on top of the paneling and the old wiring is still there but disconnected.
DO NOT do this yourself. Get an electrician to do it for you.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Kyle

The MH is a 1994 and the electrical seems to be in ideal condition. I do not believe it is GFCI, although there is a GFCI in the bathroom at the opposite end. We doo not go up there often, is the outlet a fire hazard as long as it isn't used?
Thanks.
Demolition

Is it a fire hazard? Well you never know if anyone else might someday try to plug something into it.
Not everyone is observant and some people ignore it when they get shocked.

It could be the plug or could be the wiring. The only way to know for sure is to have an Electrician look at it. Hint Hint.

Safety First Kyle. We are getting old and need you to help with the MH business.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town