anyone use Congoleum flooring?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hi, were gettin ready to purchase a new doublewide and one of the "standard" features is Congoleum flooring. I know this stuff is like the old rolls of vinyl flooring, but supposed to be more resilient. Has anyone here used this stuff or have it in their homes? Im looking for a 'review' of it, but google is lettin me down!
Greg

Congoleum is one of the better flooring types but many of us are going with laminate. It is a mush more durable floor, and my Armstromg that I put down 5 years ago still looks like new. it is a tough floor, the cleaning instructions state the use soap & water, for tough spots use Acetone. can't get much tougher. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Congoleum is a vinyl flooring manufacturer, like Armstrong and Mannington. Congoleum's sheet vinyl grades are rated 1-5 star. Armstrong uses Bronze, Silver Gold series. The 1 star vinyl is the base level 5 year warranty stuff where the 5 star is basically a 15 year warranty grade. Congoleum also interjects "Lifelong" in the warranty wording, but you need to read the actual warranty. I have only personally installed Prelude (1 star) and recently Concept (2 star). The Concept felt like pretty good stuff about like Armstrong Initiator, which is Armstrong's base grade. Probably 80% of my customers will choose a base grade (low priced) vinyl flooring. I have used Domco, a lot of Mannington Cambray, the Congoleum Prelude and mostly Armstrong Initator.

As you move off of the base grade materials, I feel Congoleum and Armstrong both offer the best and very comparable products. At the base grade, I feel Armstrong Initiator is best. It just feels thicker and has a good wear layer. But this is a minute difference and all of the brand names offer viable products.

So, to know how good your flooring will be, you will need to ask what grade it is. Get the exact name and warranty rating. You can compare that grade to the other stars as well as some of these other brands at vinyl flooring stores and some times the big home stores. Big home stores will often have different names on the products, but they are the same products. Not all stores carry all brands.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Just to add my 2 cents...whichever brand name and rating you choose they will only look as good as the subfloor that is underneath them.

As JD said read your warranty well. I find that most of them are not worth much unless a professional installer from their company does the install.

Your post does not say what rooms of your home the vinyl will be in. Greg mentioned the laminate flooring. This is a great product, but I still prefer and advocate vinyl in the wet areas...bath and kitchens.

Have a good night,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

I have to agree with JD, Greg and Yanita!

Personally, I love sheet vinyl! Especially in kitchens and baths.

Yes, Congoleum, Mannigton and Armstrong are the high end there! I've had them all over the years. Very pleased with each!

Like Yanita said, in our homes, you have to take into consideration the sub flooring. If it in good condition, then you get what you pay for!

If the structure is there, then you can't go wrong with that brand.

Maureen 8)

thanks for the insight ya'll! I am planning to put it in a brand new Oakwood home in the dining rm, kitchen, and utility area, and bathrooms. I was curious how this stuff will wear compared to 'standard' "cheap" vinyl.
Greg

I would think that the manufacturer would offer a wear gaurentee of some sort, May be worth looking into. And of corse my "Flooring guy" is no where to be found. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

The singlewide we sold last year was an Oakwood. We had the home for 10 years and the vinyl still was good as new. BUT, as with anything it is in the maintenance.

If you get the cheap like I did (the home came with it) then you treat it a little "nicer" than you might normally. Alot will depend on regular cleaning of the floor, how much traffic it gets etc, the better quality stuff will obviously hold up longer under heavy traffic...kids, dogs, grandkids.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!