Ceiling - Flat to Vaulted?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

heartmadeforyou

I have a crazy question... can a flat ceiling be removed and replaced with a vaulted ceiling?

My DH and I are helping our daughter buy a 1996 mobile home that has a vaulted ceiling in the living room in the center of the home.

The master bedroom and one of the other bedrooms have a flat ceiling, even though they span the width of the home like the living room does. The flat ceilings seem so low and my daughter's roommate can even reach up and touch the ceiling!

Love this website and I know it will be very helpful as we get her settled in to her new home. Thanks!

Miki
Are we there yet?
JD
Site Admin

Hi Miki and welcome to the forum,

I am sure anything is possible but I don't think it would be feasible. Unless you are working off of engineered plans, you really are just shooting from the hip and hoping it works. The effects on the roof over time could be disastrous.

Even if you had a good plan, you would have to install a new ceiling. The ceiling panels you have would not be long enough to reinstall at a pitch. If you have a sheetrock ceiling, you'd have to redo the ceiling also. Just seems like a whole lot of time, work and money for the amount of gain. Just coming up with engineered drawings to get a permit would be pretty expensive.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

In addition to JD's comments, Does the roof height allow for a vaulted ceiling? If the roof is raised in the middle of the home and drops on the ends you may not even have room to raise the ceiling. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Sylvia

I've wondered the same thing. What was our MBR before the basement addition is our dining room which is too small to be of much use. It would be better served if it was part of the living room but the height differences in the two rooms would make it impossible.