wall removal

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lucasboy

I live in a double wide & would like to remove a wall separating two bedrooms to give us one large bedroom. I don't believe this is a load bearing wall but would like to be sure it's safe to do this to one of these houses.
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck all
JD
Site Admin

If the wall is on the same same side of the MH, you will most likely be alright. But that is a general statement and there could be homes where that wouldn't apply. If your ceiling has mobile home ceiling panels with the plastic spline strips, check the strips on both sides of the wall. If they appear to be a continuous panel over the top of the wall, you are probably fine to remove the wall.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hi JD,

Are you saying that the wall needs to be a wall that is not one of the ones that are separating the home? Hmmm, not sure that makes sense either.

I guess another way to say it is, if both bedrooms are on the same side of the home then yes you can probably remove the wall, but if the bedrooms are one on each half of the home then it maybe and most likely be load bearing.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lucasboy

Yes, both bedrooms are on the same side of the house, it's not the wall where the two sections of the house go together.
Yanita

Hi,

You should be fine, however...once you remove the interior wall paneling you will be able to tell if it is load bearing.

Some things to take into consideration before you do the remodel...switches, outlets and overhead lights. Be sure to turn off the power before you start the demo process. I have found that all the electrical wires are run from point A to point B, so this mean that a wire can run on the diagonal opposed to straight lines.

Good luck and if you can share some pics with us.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lucasboy

Thanks for all the help. My wife sometimes does & sometimes doesn't want me to taking the wall out fearing the roof will cave in if I do it. This might help change her mind. I'd like it down for all the room we'd get. If I end up doing it I'll post some before & after pictures.