water heater questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

my mobile home was a foreclosure and did not come with a water heater in it. So, i have a couple of questions. The home is electric.

Is 30 gallons basically the only size available in electric? We found an electric 30 gallon mobile home one at home depot but they only had the 30 gallon.

Isn't a water heater supposed to be on a stand? The hole where the water heater was does not have a stand.

There are 3 plumbing type pipes come up through the floor. Can someone tell me what the 3 are for. I am thinking cold in, hot out but can't figure out what the third pipe is for. The water heater space is located to the right of the heater and both are inside the home in the utility room.

Does anyone have a picture of an electric mobile home heater set up that shows the bottom pipes and stand?
garrett_reukauf

Hi Betty! Not sure how much info I can help you out with but this is the setup I have. My home was set up brand new from dealer about 5-6 months ago. Our water heater is in the utility closet as well, the only way you can access it is on the inside. Its a standard Rheem 30gal Electric water heater. There is no indication on the water heater or in the paperwork that this is ONLY for a mobile home setup. It does however have a provision listed for instructions if it is being installed in a mobile home. You could even put in a 40gal w-heater if you prefer, but space and size can be somewhat of a restriction in mobile homes. And from what I am seeing and hearing from people, a standard everyday water heater for a regular home is just as good for a mobile home. Our
w-heater is not on a stand, however it is sat inside a plastic "pan."
This incase the water heater were to leak or freeze and burst, it will keep the water from destroying your flooring. This is common nowdays even with regular homes. The three pipes you are refering to are more than likely: COLD IN, HOT OUT, and DRAIN OUT.
The "drain out" would be actually connected to the plastic pan I was speaking of earlier, and it would allow the water in that pan to be drained out side on to the ground. If infact your w-heater was on a stand, this drain pipe may extend out of the floor more than mine.
Here is a picture of my w-heater setup, notice the black plastic pan i was speaking of on the bottom.
If you look down at the bottom to the right just above the date/time, you will see a PVC elbow that comes out of the black pan and goes down through the floor. That is the drain and it goes through the floor to outside. The white and red tubes (PEX) on the left is the COLD in and HOT out. Then of course it is strapped to the wall for saftey and code requirments.
Hope this gives some insight for you Betty.
Have a great day!
Garrett
Manitoba Bill

I installed a 40 Gal. electric HWT. The extra pipe could be the for the Safety Valve overflow pipe that usually just goes down into the crawl space.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Greg

You can install ANY electric water heater that will fit your space, Where the MH rating comes into play is for a gas water heater.
The 3 pipes should be a cold feed pipe, a Hot water out of the tank and an overflow/pressure relief. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
oldfart

M'am...just recently I installed a hot water heater in a ca. 1984 trailer and the owner purchased an electric hot water heater "designed for a mobile home." The only difference between a standard hot water heater and a mobile home hot water heater was that the fittings were located on the side of the tank instead of the top. No problem. Since his home had already had a standard hot water heater installed previously we just removed the plugs in the new tank from the side and used the existing fittings in the top. He could have saved a bunch'a money by just buying a normal/standard hot water heater. If your incoming and outgoing water lines are presently installed via the side of the tank then purchase a "designed for mobile home use" hot water heater. If it enters and exits the top of the tank...a standard hot water heater will work just fine if it fits in the space allowed. And it'll save you about $100 in un-needed fittings. Audie..the frugal Oldfart..
JD
Site Admin

While I agree with Audie that a standard home gas water heater will work in a mobile home, I would not recommend going against code which requires all gas appliances in a mobile/manufactured home to be mobile home approved. By using a non-code water heater you could be creating a problem when you go to sell your home. A home inspector could catch it (ha ha) and ding you for it. Also, if there was to be a problem with the water heater that involved your home owners insurance, your coverage may be denied.

Other then the placement of the water lines, another difference in mobile home water heaters and standard water heaters is the venting at the bottom of the unit. Next time you are at a home store where the water heaters are up on a shelf, look under the bottom of the units and you will find a screened vent under standard water heaters that you will not find on the mobile home water heaters. When I asked about this, the appliance guy said that there was a possibility of "flashback" of the units flame if the wind hit it just right. I dunno for sure. I have never heard of that happening either.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Robert

A gas water heater must have sealed combustion if installed in a MH .

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Yanita

Robert,

Could you explain that a little more in detail. There are lots of women here getting instructions that they relay to their significant others or to repair folks that do not always know the difference.

Maybe supply some proper install pictures as well.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Hi Yanita,

Ducking tornadoes and severe weather threats, currently at 2nd home on laptop with dial up, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Will click my heels together 3 times and repeat, "there's no place like other home with DSL".

When I return to sanity will see what I can come up with.

Basicly, a gas fired appliance in a MH must have sealed vent/combustion, meaning ALL venting must be to outside of home and ALL combustion make up air must come from outside the home.

Sealed as in no opening to interior of the home.

NO air from inside home can be used for combustion or venting or be drawn into the flues for that purpose.

IF it is rated for a MH, it will be sealed vent/combustion IF it is gas.

That will cover what JD spoke of as well.

IF it electric, just be sure it fits in space and has adequate service panel amps.

The piping can be changed as stated previously from side to top.

That is pretty much it, not sure I have any pics, probably don't, but if above is followed, all is ok.

Also, always check for local codes/inspectors to be compliant there as well.

Some insurance companies may have regs as well.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Serena

This was very helpful. Thank you!!!
oldfart

JD, just a small point but no reference was made on my part or Serenas post concerning gas hot water heaters. She said her home was total electric and I said I installed a new electric hot water tank. Yup..the rules are different for gas appliances whether hot water heaters, stoves, ranges or furnaces. I'm a bit unsure where the topic of gas/propane ever entered the conversation. If I am incorrect please advise me. YMHS..Audie..the Oldfart.
JD
Site Admin

Yes Audie, you are correct. I think I might have got this post confused with another post I have been watching.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

I was kind'a wondering how the train jumped the tracks too, but it's all good information. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

I noticed that too, but with the interest it stirred, I just lept onto the derailment and rode that bad boy, LOL.

Robert
oldfart

Ohh.. good Lord....J.D. I didn't even get the name of the poster correct. I said Serena and it was Betty Joanne that posted!! Apparently someone was passing out dumb-pills down on the corner and we all stepped up and asked for a handful..eh! Betty...my apology for the mistake..and Serena as well. JD..do you wear bi-focals too? Gittin' old doth sucketh..eh? Glad we cleared that up! In any case if an electric hot water heater will fit in the space allowed it will work regardless whether it's made for a mobile home or a stick-built home. Gas appliances..that's a whole 'nuther ball game and I understand the reasons for not encouraging most homeowners to tamper with them. 'Nuff said..now let me find them %#%*! bi-focals! Audie..the Olfart..