painting rusty screws

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kmclaughlin

hi all,

i wanted to let you all know that i got new windows and new skirting!! i am so excited and will get some pics on here in the next couple days. :D

now, i have a question.. i want to paint the outside and the majority of screw heads are rusty. what should i prime them with?
i already got valspar exterior latex. can i use some rustoleum to dab on screw heads?
will latex still work over rustoelum?
should i use some other type of paint on the screw heads??
i just dont want the rust to be bleeding through in a year or two.
thanks in advance!!!
kim
JD
Site Admin

Hi Kim,

If these are hex head screws in metal siding, it would be much better to replace those screws. You do want to watch how much you pay for the screws. They can get expensive in small packages. You should be able to buy the screws in bulk for $20-$25 per thousand. Here is a link to an online place.
http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?c ... m=7&cd=564
The screws used for metal siding are #8 x 1/2" hex head screws and use a 1/4" nut driver in your cordless drill.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
brecklundin

Something I do when I am replacing screws that have rusted or have worked their way loose is to increase the size from a #8 to a #10 that way if the hole itself has no 'bite' left to it then the slightly fatter screw will give back the old hold as if it was new.

In fact I just am finishing up a repaint on my place and tomorrow I will be re-placing all the screws over the window awnings and brackets in the front. So I even have a box of size #12's (they are also the longer screws for the eves over the windows) in case some of the main support screw holes are really in bad shape. Not sure if I would go any larger or even if I would replace too many with #12's because it could crack the wood on older 2x3 (or are they 1x2???) construction homes.

I actually have two places and about 1985 I replaced all of the screws in my 1972 built home because the original screws were loose and falling out and so rusty it was awful. But I used #10s and to this day they are still holding strong.

So, if you find the new screws won't or don't want to hold anymore then it can be worked around with the fatter #10 x 1/2 screws.
Manitoba Bill

When I painted my siding I replaced the rusty hex screws with 8x1 Metal screws with Truss Socket heads from HD. The flatter dome heads look neater than hex and resemble aircraft rivets.

I painted over them for extra protection and if needed the paint can easily be removed for resetting.

I also used them for my plywood skirting and Solar Collectors. For the Solar I cut rubber washers using pruning shears and auto vacuum hose.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
kmclaughlin

thanks all.
i am going to get a price on buying them locally to replace . there was just so darn many!! ugh!!!
mist1953

I have a question regarding replacing the screws, once replaced should they be sealed with chalking??
Greg

It can't hurt, but I question how much it would help. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mist1953

Wouldn't water get behind the metal screws and create water problems if they are not sealed. When our home was delivered to us I had to go around the home and tighten them up and a few I had to replace as they worked there way out and was MIA.