Ceiling fan help

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lucasboy

I've been given a pair of expensive 52" ceiling fans & not sure if it's safe to install them from these ceilings. I live in a 1984 Redmond double wide. I know I can put a support bar up there between the trusses, but they look like flimsy little 2 by 2's & these fans are pretty heavy. Is there a safe way to do this? I'd hate to put these up & find a big chunk of my ceiling & the fans laying on the floor or worse yet, someone standing underneath one & it decides to drop. :shock:
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck all
Greg

Check the articals section, Mark has one on installing ceiling fans. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mist1953

HI Greg, Have a questions for you, we have a vaulted ceiling in our bedroom and we want to install a ceiling fan in the same spot our light is. How hard will that be in trying to install.
Greg

If the light is right at the peak of the ceiling it is not that hard. The first thing you need to do is make sure you have enough support, you really don't want a spinning ceiling fan falling on the bed in the middle of the night.
What I did with ours was remove the light fixture (make sure the power is off first)and MAKE SURE that the box would support 20-30 pounds of weight with out moving. If it is solid, just replace the light fixture with the fan, they come in kits, so everything should be there. Greg
mist1953

We have a ceiling fan in our living room and the room has a vaulted ceiling. Under the fan is a plastic/metal piece ^ that is shaped the same as the vaulted ceiling (^) so the fan sits flush. How would we secure the fan in the bedroom as the fan will have nothing to set flush to.
Greg

The fans that I have seen usually hang , they are not really what I would call tightly mounted. If you don't have the installation instructions, try the manufacturers web site. Greg
Yanita

Hi,

Not sure what you call those pieces that fit up against the cathedral ceiling so the fan has a flat surface to mount to but I believe that Lowe's carries them...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
mist1953

Thank you Yanita I will check with them. Thats the only thing that is stopping us from installing the fan is figuring out how to secure it to the vaulted ceiling.
Yanita

Hi,

You might want to take some more measurements to ascertain that the blades are not going to hit the ceiling...

In our last home the livingroom fan had a rod between the mounting surface and the fan motor. My fan is made by Hunter so this rod was adjustable and/or removable.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
mist1953

The rod in the kit we have for the ceiling fan is also adjustable to what ever height we need but it is trying to figure out how to mount the ceiling fan so the base will sit flush to the ceiling. I guess we are going to have to engineer some sort of housing/mounting base for the fan base to sit on so it is sturdy and flush in the vaulted part of the ceiling.

How much room would you think there would be between the metal roof and peak of our vaulted ceiling that would allow me to put up a heavy brace??
JD
Site Admin

The standard ceiling mount can handle a little angle, but I think you might be looking for one of these. This and a longer downrod and you should be set. Be sure that the electrical box can handle the weight.

http://www.farreys.com/ceiling_fans/hun ... ories.html

Hope this helps,

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mist1953

Thanks JD, I believe that will help. How will I know if the electric box will support the weight and if not, is there sufficient room between ceiling and roof to put a support bar??
JD
Site Admin

If this is an older double wide with vaulted ceilings, it is probably using 2x6 rafters. There would usually be sheathing nailed to the top and ceiling panels on the bottom of the rafter. So while there is room for a 2x4 blocked flat across the top edge of the rafter, leaving room for a ceiling fan box, the problem is how do you nail in the blocking. If you are replacing the ceiling around the fan, then no problem. Otherwise, you will have a large patch to repair in the ceiling or roof.

If this is a newer double wide with a vaulted ceiling, it is probably using engineered metal ribbed trusses. Basically 1x4 wood on top and bottom with metal "W" running the full length of the truss. They went to these to get the R-30 insulation into the ceilings. These are really great trusses that are stronger than a 2x6 and allow airflow. But attaching blocking to them is difficult due to the lack of wood to nail to.

When I install ceiling fans in mobile homes (particularly the 1x2 furring strip type trusses), I will use a nice piece of 1/2" sanded AC plywood (oak if you are going to stain it) 19" x 19" square. This plywood base will span and is screwed to 2 trusses with three #10 sized screws on each truss. You can either use "L" blocking nailed to the back side of this plywood for the standard ceiling fan electrical box, or what I do now is use a metal 1/2" pan style ceiling fan box (below). By cutting a 4" hole, and fastening a over the back side of the plywood, you will have a perfect place to mount the 1/2" thick box. The 19" plywood base can be trimmed out with 1/2" quarter round or trim of your choice. Maybe the pictures below will make more sense than what I am writing. I hope this is making some sense. It does to me in my mind.... Oh look! A unicorn!!

Now is this method as good as fastening direct to blocking, properly nailed into 2x lumber? I doubt it. But I have been doing it this way for years and have never had a problem with it. The plywood distributes the weight on two trusses and makes for a very solid base. I don't have to patch ceilings and often I am able to cover warped ceiling panel at the old hole. But the main reason I use this is because there are very few suitable options when my customers have the 1x2 trusses. Here's the pics.

Here is a link to that 1/2" metal fan electrical pan. You can find these at your local hardware store.

http://www.electrical-supply.net/produc ... dID_E_2189

Hope this helps,
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JD
Site Admin

I wanted to add that if you do use a 1/2" pan type electric box, be sure it says that is for ceiling fan use. There are other 4"x1/2" pans that are for lights and such but not approved for fan use.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!