Hot Water Heater/Water Breaker

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dennisd

Hi folks ! New to the forum and here's my question.

I had a frozen main pipe this morning. Didn't realize it until the hot water I was letting run drained dry. I immediately turned off the breaker for the Heater to prevent the element from burning out. The breaker for the Heater and the breaker for the Water are "clipped" together so I removed the clip so I could shut the Heater only off. Is there a reason for this ?

Also, after sometime with a hairdryer on the pipe and no results, I flipped the Heater switch back on and the water immediately began to flow. In other words, the pipe was apparently unthawed but the water wouldn't flow until the Heater breaker was on also. Does that make sense ?

thanks for your time,
Greg

Dennisd, water heaters are USUALLY 220volt. a 220v breaker has 2 breakers connected at the handles. You should have the heater on it's own breaker and the pump on it's own. It may take some investigating to figure out how they wired it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
hvac1000

Someone at one time or another could have clipped or attached the pump breakers and water heater breakers. The reason for this is so you could not run the water heater with out the pump being on. A water heater will be damaged if allowed to run without water in it.

I have a similar situation at camp but it is on the main septic pumps. They need to both be running for the affluent to be pumped up the hill from the marina area.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
dennisd

So...I have the Heater and Pump running off one 220V breaker
and they should be on separate 220V breakers ?

sorry, I'm a bit electrically challenged !
hvac1000

Actually I really do not know what you have exactly. My advice was based upon circumstances I have been involved in before. I have no idea if your water heater is a 220 volt model or if your pump is a 220 volt model. My water heater is a 110 volt model.

If you do not know what you are doing with electric please call someone who does. I say this for your safety.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Maureen

I have to jump in here and put my 2 cents in.

When it comes to electrical or gas repairs, and you don't have thorough knowledge, then it's best to call a pro!

Not all of our problems are DIY projects.

Maureen 8)
Yanita

Hi dennisd,

I have to agree with Maureen on this one.

Although this my be a easy fix for some others of us are electrically challenge, LOL, and you have already stated that you are also.

For your safety and that of your home we ask that you please call a professional to check this out for you.

Please do not be offended, we all have our limitations.

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Hi,

Just wanted to add here that for finding electrical problem WHERE water is also involved, definately call an electrician to inspect.

Also, electric water heaters are 220/240vac and gas water heaters are 110/120vac.

You most likely have a safety requiring both to be ON in order for either to work.

You never stated what type heat source you had.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert

PS: Locking this thread back off.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?