Outside Awning

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Adriamarie

Had to take down old awning as a tree was pushing it into the house, Tree was removed now I need to replace the awning-UGH!!
I am a pretty handy gal an thought about buying at Home depot some of that s-curved poly type awning looking stuff and then some 4x4 wood and some concrete squares, not attaching to house as like one before other wise non of this would of happened.
Bolting the S-curved poly sheet at an angle (for rain run-off) on 2 of the 4x4's , same at other end.
Question has anybody ever done this or have a better idea? I just want to make an Awning in the front door area porch, that is easy and not expensive. Also Doesn't Home depot etc sell a type of gutter/roof sealant that you can use if item is wet or raining, as I have a gutter leak right in front of the door and I tried a product suggested by Home depot-Well as soon as it rained here came the drip drops, it didn't work. Any Suggestions there? Thank You to all you took the time to read this post-I love this site and been coming here for years and Your always right on the "MARK" (no pun intended) hahaha Thank You
Koiflowers

I found this site after considerable searching a few weeks ago.

http://www.shade-cloth-diy.com/awnings/awnings.shtml

I have not made my awning, yet, but the basics are there for actually making the awning, including tips on what thread to use. You should click on that button and read the extra info because it actually tells you how the fabric will react to the frame, what type thread will withstand the sun and weather, etc.

Sunbrella makes a reputable awning fabric. I found on E-Bay a couple of stores that sell "shorts" totaling 10 yards long, and 60 inches wide. If a piece is 2.5 yds. - 7.5 ft at 60" wide should be enough for an awning; however, if not you could sew a couple pieces together, matching patterns.

Once your awning is made, just figure out how you will install it. The site has other DIY info, too.
Mee Mee

Hi! I've been considering the same thing as you for an awning over my back door. Since the tree is gone, have you looked at door awnings available on Home Depot or Lowe's websites? I think if you price out your plans and compare it to the cost of a ready-made, the ready-made door awning might be your answer and be a lot less work.
Yanita

Hi,

I will admit that I did not check out the link provided, but would like to add that if you live in a high wind area it is not a good idea to attach anything to the home.

Adriamarie, if you measure the area where you want the awning, you can go to Lowe's and they can construct something on the computer and give you exact material list and tool list of what will be required.

Yanita

PS, don't forget to check and see if a building permit is required.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Adriamarie

I have plans already on paper and I still have the alumium frame and thought about using it but It's heavy and would be more costly.
I did read the other post of the Person whos awning was taken by the wind, No problem with wind, Just alot of Rain - I live in Oregon
Any more suggestions are still helpfull, especially for the gutter drip.
Thank You
JD
Site Admin

Personally, I would think an aluminum awning would work best for you in Oregon. While the materials would be more expensive, installation would be easier and you would be using a proven design. Below are some NW mobile home suppliers. I am sure there are more.

http://www.blevinsinc.com/

http://www.mobilehomesupply.com/

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.