Questions about buying a repo

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

challa

As you all know I am just learning about this mobile home stuff. I found a doublewide for sale in the park where I was approved. I am supposed to see it in the next day or so. It is an 81 (not sure of the type) 3br 2bath with kitchen LR DR and woodburning fireplace. It is $6000. The only catch is that since it is a repo, the power has been shut off and the guy that I talked to said that it was basically an as-is deal. Everything could work perfectly fine, or it could all need to be replaced. Can you all give me an idea of what I should be looking for? I walked around it and looked in the windows and it looks nice. The AC unit is practically brand new. I just need to know what to watch out for. It has no power at all.
Thanks
Challa
Maureen

Hi Challa,

Hmmm, with no power, so many things could be wrong that you won't see until the lights are on!

Your going to have to pray that ALL appliances work! Even gas appliances most often use electricity for the pilot light. Not sure if all is included, but, washer, dryer, fridge, range, disposer, water heater, AC, and furnace top that list. Then you have to pray that the wiring is in perfect shape, the electrical box, etc. All of that will be sight unseen.

First, bring several high powered flash lights with you! Inspect the ceiling for any water damage. This means looking in every cupboard and closet also! Water damage on the ceiling could very well mean roof leaks.

Walk through every inch of the home and check for soft spots! Again water damage. Check in front of tubs, showers, around toilets, in laundry area, kitchen sink, dishwasher and fridge.

Look for water damage around windows and doors, this is also common in our homes.

Look for holes in walls, pet damage and check all doors and windows to make sure they open and close with ease. If any stick, or doors close by themselves, that's a good sign that the home needs to be releveled.

I know there's lots more to check! But, I'd be here all night listing them!

Just try to keep in mind that when you buy a mobile 'As Is', just like buying an old car as is. You can never see everything, and you know you're going to be putting more money into it!

We bought an old '73 mobile, in just about perfect condition! I've lost count of the money we've put into it and the land at this point! I don't even think I want to know! The home isn't even half done at this time.

Just know what you're getting yourself into before you hand over any cash, or sign anything!

Maureen
JD
Site Admin

Hi Challa,

You could check everything but the electrical. Look to see what type of plumbing it has and any signs of past leaks, Look for build ups of minerals around the fittings, big gaps, holes or repairs in the vapor barrier, soft spots in the floor, water stains at the bottom of walls or around windows. Any signs of past problems, investigate further. Check (or have checked) the roof. What type and condition. Obvious stuff like flooring, paint, condition of siding and skirting will give you some idea of the amount of money that may be in the future. If all of this checks out well, you may have a nice home there.

Who financed the repo? The guy selling it? Even with an "as is" deal, you should be able to set up an agreement that allows you to decline after an electrical check, if it turns out to be in major need of repair.

I don't know the mobile home values in your area, but if this double wide is in good condition, it would be worth 5 to 10 time that amount in my area, depending on the park.

Just my thoughts on it. Maybe someone with electrical knowledge can tell you how to check the electrical without needing to turn the power on.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

Hi Challa

I would not close the deal without checking the electrical even if I had to pay to have the power turned on. Lots of generators in this part of the world so powering a mobile home for inspection wouldn't be much of a problem here.

No inspection of a mobile home is complete without a trip "down under" with a strong light. Check the supports, plumbing for leaks especially beneath the kitchen and bathrooms, belly wrap and insulation, signs of critter damage, floor rot especially the rim joists.

Were you able to get your money back from the first deal?

Good Luck to you.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
challa

Thanks so much everyone. After calling all of the available homes in this park, (single wides) they are realistically selling for $25,000 and up!! Apparently this is a premier park, and it is just beautiful. All of the mobiles are older, and well kept. (Except the fixer upper we were initially looking at...lol) This home was repo'd by a finance company of some sort. I will get more information today. I do believe I get to walk through it this afternoon. I am quite excited. I just want to be cautious. The lot is small but it backs to woods and it has a very large deck almost down the entire side of it. I like the lot of the other home better but I guess you can't have everything.
The owner of the other home is giving our money back Saturday. He offered to lower the price of it so we went back through and it just isn't going to be worth putting any money into it. Now, this DW just might be. DW in our area are going for a lot more than this one, so with a little work it might really raise it's value.
I will keep you guys posted!
Challa
Yanita

Hi,

Glad you are excited about the possibility of another home...BUT...DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Check every square inch of this home, including under and behind all appliances, wherever water enters the home. Sign nothing until you have completely inspected this home, and then you should consider a professional inspection from an inspector knowledgeable of MH!

Your post said this is a repo, check the tax records and see if any past taxes are due. Who is the original fiance company, insurance company etc...there is alot to know. Please check our archives for buying a used home. I am in hopes of getting an article into the "sticky notes" by latter this evening, waiting approval now. There are several threads in the archives on this very thing, and alot of other tips to look into.

Good luck,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
challa

*sigh*
Well, I saw the DW today and it really needs work. There is a hole right in the middle of the kitchen floor, you can see the insulation. There are a few soft spots as well. No apparent water damage on the ceilings. All of the carpet needs to be replaced. There is a crack in the tub, no door on the shower stall. It is outdated, but it has potential. It has these neat wood beams across the vaulted ceiling and a very nice woodburning fireplace. It is definately a fixer upper, but not as bad as the other one. Not sure if I want to take on this project, either, though. It's something to think about.
Greg

Challa, You know the drill, If there is a HOLE in the middle of the floor, PLAN on doing replacement of most of the floors. If it turns out that some of the floors are OK you are ahead of the game. You may want a friend to look at it also, it is easy to minimize the work needed when you are looking for a new home for yourself. Again since I don't know what the prices are in your area I can not advise on the price, but here in Centeral NY that sounds like $1000 - $1500 home. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
kashton

When we bought ours, we knew there was work to be done, But as soon as I pulled the lino from the laundryroom, our friend went through the floor. We didn't use the master bedroom for a month and a half because there always seemed to be wood beetles(sow bugs) by the doorway. We found out the exterior wall was waterlogged. And one more. I flooded our tub one day. I dried everything out only to still have a smell from masterbedroom.(beside bathroom) I pulled up carpet to find the floor was rotten. Was replacing floor, and decided to do the closet later. Put the dressers in the closet out of the way. When I started cutting the floor out by the closet, the whole floor caved in . It turned into a very big job. :cry:
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

Chala,

It might be in your best interest to purchase Mark's Mobile Home Repair and Upgrade Manual BEFORE you purchase anything. Since you are new to MH's this book will give you alot of info on what to look for and what will need to be done to repair them properly. This is a great manual, many users here have this book!

It truly needs to be in the toolbox of every mobile home owner. It can be purchased from this site in the books/parts link above.

Happy hunting for a new home!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!