Gas Leak Worries

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Today I installed a new/used gas range in my mobile home. The old one was ancient and no longer working. I removed it, only to discover a badly kinked and corroded flexible gas line.

I went and purchased a new rubber coated flexible gas line and installed it exactly according to the instructions using thread sealant. I used a soapy solution that came with the thread sealant to check for leaks on my connections, and was sure to use a light and mirror for a good view. I didn't smell any gas 1 hour later. I then turned off all my gas appliances(furnace, water heater pilot, etc) and recorded the gas meter. I checked it again after I got home from work 5 hours later to find it unchanged.

So am I good to go, or am I missing anything?

It kinda scares me to do this by myself, but I don't have the money to pay for a plumber to check it electronically. I also called the gas company to see if they do free house-calls to check for safety, but they don't unless you smell gas or have a more definite reason for concern.

On a similar note, if I wanted to purchase my own electronic "gas sniffer", which brands are the good reliable ones?

Thanks. This is a great site that has saved me many times. :D
Mark
Site Admin

If you are not smelling gas, and aren't getting any soap bubbles, your probably fine. Some of the more expensive co2 dectectors will also detect gas. We bought one and it malfunctioned almost scaring us to a hotel room. Unfortunately we haven't gotten a different one yet.

If you have a gas leak, it'll smell. If you don't smell anything, I'd say you are OK. Is there something else about it that has you concerned?

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!

Thanks Mark, I guess I am just looking for some reassurance that I have covered all my bases. I haven't worked with gas before, so it's a little intimidating the first time. I guess I don't have any specific things that are causing real concern, except my paranoia. :)

It probably comes from when I had a guy run gas lines to my new furnace when I switched from oil. He was constantly saying things like, "Hmmm I'm trying to remember if this is the right way to..." It didn't really give me a lot of confidence with this stuff. :lol:

Oh! I do have one question though. When I connected the flared ends of the line, it tightened down finger tight really easily and then I was only able to get about 1/4 turn farther with the wrench. Is that really all it takes? Seemed to tighten up really fast, but I guess that's how those flared ends work.
Mark
Site Admin

Yep, that's pretty much how flared ends are.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Hi,

Mark is "probably" correct. But with not being there then we can not really say for sure. If you are in that much doubt or state of paranoia then you should get the gas company to inspect your connection. A few bucks for a service call is worth the piece of mind.

JMO,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

It sounds to me like everything is OK, remember that any time you smell gas, get out and call 911. They would much rather go to a call and find a very minor problem than a fully involved fire with fatalities. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."