Dryer vent

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bqz

Has anyone ever ran a dryer vent out the bottom of the trailer? I was thinking of running mine that way but wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause any problems.
I was thinking maybe in the area near pressure tank(might help in winter).

This is an electric dryer,the reason is my trailer was added on before I got it and the add-on covers where the vent use to run.
Yanita

Hi,

You can run the vent under the home but you should/must continue the vent to the outside of the underpinning. Always use aluminium ducting with as few bends as possible.

To allow your dryer to vent freely under the home is allowing the moisture laden air to be trapped under the home. This will cause mildew/mold over time as well as an accumulation of lint under the home that could become a fire hazard.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
bqz

[quote]To allow your dryer to vent freely under the home is allowing the moisture laden air to be trapped under the home. This will cause mildew/mold over time as well as an accumulation of lint under the home that could become a fire hazard.

Yea ,I didn't think of that.
Looks like I'll have to run that thing about 15 ft. or so to reach the outside wall.

Thanks for the insight Yanita
Robert

Also, be sure to use foil back tape to seal and secure seams, do not use screws that will trap lint and create blockage.

No more than 3 90* ells are recommended and stay at 2 or less if at all possible.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Yanita

Thanks Robert for including the additional info, seems I always forget to include the foil backed tape and amount of ells to be used.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

You're very welcome.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Demolition

Our neighbor did not vent the dryer to outdoors because they were afraid rats would come in the hole. This same neighbor always had breathing problems, probably cause the dryer lint flying around the house.
Having as few bends as possible is also good for maintenance. That is to say, once or twice a year clean the vent hose out real good.
This will also help the dryer breathe good and clothes will not get that musty smell from dampness retained in the system.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
bqz

Thanks for the tips !
I'm only going to need to elbows, I have the tape already and as for the vent .I'll use one that opens and closes when dryer is on and off,just to make sure I 'don't have any unwanted visitors.
Thanks again for the help,
It's always good to have the wisdom of others. :D
Lane

To avoid getting unwanted guests from the dryer vent, pick up a vent cover from your local home repair center. Get one with a grill of some sort that covers the hole, yet allows for good airflow.

To clean the vent, take your shop vac and suck from the inside or outside once a year or so. This reduces any fire risk from lint buildup. You can also use your leaf blower, but need to be careful to not damage the ducting. I don't think any vacuum cleaner has enough suction capacity to do any good for this, IMHO anyway.

Also, if your dryer is taking WAY too long to dry clothes or towels, it might be your vent, not the dryer. I have also heard that the particles from dryer sheets can cause the lint filter to get clogged and simply taking dish soap and warm water, you can wash this out of it. To test, clean your dryer vent, place under a faucet, let a little water out onto the filter and if it beads up or doesn't run through easily, your dryer isn't getting good airflow. Is this actually true? I don't know for certain. I use fabric softener in the washer and when I tested mine, it worked fine. Yea, I'm the guy and do the laundry. Stay at home husband here on disability. She makes more than I do (Like that matters!) and I don't mind. LOL!

Anyhow, that's what input I can offer. Oh, btw, why couldn't you use 3" or 4" S&D or Schedule 40 PVC? It sould withstand the heat temps from the dryer and not allow breached from invading critters wanting the warmer climates?
Robert

Hey Lane,

I thought aliens had beamed ya up, long time no see, LOL.

Be sure the cover allows good airflow and allows the lint to be blown out of vent ducting.

Yes, the filter test is true, a film can cover the screen and no longer allow airflow through it.

No way to attach the PVC piping to the aluminum/galv. ducting or the dryer itself.

It is also heavier and places added weight that could kink collar at dryer if it dropped down.

The galv. ducting would withstand critters and if moisture causes it to rust, it would still work and could be changed out after so many years of use.

Usually, the aluminum works well also and best to deter those critters from underneath the home and run venting just under the belly and up off the ground.

Robert
Lane

Yea, had a really nice visit with Capt Kirk and Scottie! Was standing by Scottie when Kirk asked for more power and Scottie told him "if I give ya any more, she's gonna break up!". It was a wild ride!!

I understand the aspect of aluminum -vs- PVC. Thanks for the welcome back. Yanita's been yellin at me every time we chat. "UNCLE!!!" :P