setup diagram

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lefties

on this setup diagram,,,do the outside perimiter white slots represent perimiter blocking or windows?? ThxImage
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
Mark
Site Admin

What you are showing is just a floor plan. The white slots are windows. A set-up diagram will show placement of the blockings & such.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
lefties

thx
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
Demolition

In Arkansas the Mobile Home Commission has a booklet they will mail, that has the basic requirements for setting up a mobile home.
Every house is a little bit different so check your local codes.
One thing people overlook is setting blocks under the entry doors. Then the door dont shut right and it leads to lots of cussing.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Manitoba Bill

Demolition wrote: One thing people overlook is setting blocks under the entry doors. Then the door don't shut right and it leads to lots of cussing.

I have outriggers under my perimeter. So how, exactly, do you install blocks when you have frost heave?

Do these show up in installation diagrams?
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Demolition

Frost Heave? The only frost we have is on
the car windows. It usually thaws by 9 AM

In the Arkansas Delta, the soil is very soft.
The trick is to balance the weight in the mobile home,
so the whole house sinks evenly.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Greg

About the only way around frost heave is below the frost line footers, either block foundation or cement piers sunk below frost line. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Manitoba Bill

I checked about 3 mobiles around me and not ONE has any perimeter blocking so your advice doesn't apply around here and actually would make it worse.

And can you show me in any diagrams where they are used to back up your opinion?
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Mark
Site Admin

Hey Bill,

What's with all the raised hair over perimeter blocking? I reread this post 3 times and didn't see one question of anyone asking about installing perimeter blocking. The original poster was asking for help in deciphering markings on a floor plan. Nobody mentioned anything about installing perimeter blocks that I read.

By the way, I like your scientific survey of 3 mobile homes.

A home that has good outriggers probably don't need perimeter blocking except at the doors and big windows. An outrigger is an outward metal extension from the main frame.

Most all homes have perimeter blocking underneath doors and large windows. During frost heave, it helps keep the doors aligned as the blocks are suppose to heave evenly with the ground. It's not a perfect system, but it must work as its written into most all the manufacturer set-up manuals of the last 10+ years.

If people in homes without outriggers need perimeter blocking, the blocks would work best if frost heave wasn't a big issue. One way to stop or reduce frost heave is to install insulated skirting. After I installed new insulated skirting several years ago, it has not frozen underneath my home. I have had no frost heave. Things quit moving in my home.

Personally I would install outriggers than mess with perimeter blocking. You can find outriggers towards the bottom of this page: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/order.htm#catalog

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!