Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

NancyKay

I just thought it was odd this home has no steps, no porch
I'm trying to post a picture
NancyKay
NancyKay

When you walk in the front door, do you think you are stepping right onto the floor? They must have a basement?
NancyKay
SpongeBob

Hi, I noticed the "For Sale" sign in the front window. You could call I guess and get all the details. My guess also would be some sort of basement.

-Bob
JD
Site Admin

For the most part, I really like that set up. There is a park in my area that sets all homes up similar to this one. The homes in this park don't have an actual basement, but there is a dug out section to allow the doors to sit close to the ground like that. When they move a home in, they will use a bobcat or something like that to dig out the grass and yard in front of the home to make a level entry/road to move the home in. Once the home is in place, they move the dirt and sod back into place.

This makes the home look kind of cool without actual skirting and steps. (these homes are set about 6" above grade so there is still one step) It especially looks nice with all the homes in the park set that way. But this set-up does create problems for this particular park. I have repaired a lot of water damaged siding and floors in that park. It seems that none of the homes are vented well enough. It might be that it is dug into the ground because even homes that use that 6" above grade as vents all the way around the home have moisture problems too.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
NancyKay

Can you still get underneath there easily like if you have a frozen pipe, or need to work on your ducts or something? I like not having to go up steps too! Just wondering if the positives outweigh the negatives
NancyKay
JD
Site Admin

The homes I am talking about have a square cut out of the ground next to the home and and an access door. They are a real pain. Usually everything you use needs to be drug through that access door. There is also limited light, so I am also dragging those hot halide lights around too. When ever I work under these homes, there is an upcharge because of the extra time it takes.

But yes you can get around like any other home. The home will still have the axles and sometimes tires under there. So I imagine the set height is about the same.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.