Replacing Kitchen Cabinets

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Trudi

(Hope this is the right place for this) Someone on another board had this question, and I told them about this site, but I don't think they've seen my response yet, so I'll ask it for them.

The problem is that their lightweight cabinets are sagging, and they want to replace them with regular wood cabinets. The question: Will the walls in a mh support the weight? TIA.
Yanita

Hi Trudi,

I just noticed you live in NC as well, LOL, you are close to the mountains and I am close to the beach!

Anyways, I am going to move this to the repair forums just so you get the proper advice.

I can say that many folks have replaced there cabinets and have been fine. BUT, you need to make sure you hit the studs. Some older homes also the studs are 24inches OC on interior walls so that may be a factor as well.

OK, off to the repair forum and lets see what else we get.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Trudi

Thanks Yanita. I guess cabinets can go either way, decorating or repair. :) Yep, I'm a N.C. gal too. We love the mountains AND the beach, so our vacation home is a mh in a little town near North Myrtle Beach.

Now, if I can remember which forum the cabinet question was posted on, I'll pass along your reply. Thanks!
Greg

Trudi, Yes, you can use new cabinets with no problem. take some time to plan the layout so you can hit as many studs as possible. The last ting you want is to hear the cabinet that is full of dishes hitting the floor at 3 in the morning. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
oldfart

M'am something that I wanted to mention was that it depends on when your home was built and by whom. The reason I bring it up is this. The interior walls on my home were comprised of not 2x4 studs but 1x3 "furring-strips" for lack of a better wording. My exterior walls are 1x2's..hardly the choice to support heavy cabinets. I doubt the interior walls of my (ca. 1970 s.w. Foremost) mobile home would actually support any commonly available cabinetry from Lowes or Home Depot. Sadly, most of the affordable cabinetry available is made from cheap and heavy particle-board and little actual wood is used through-out. In short..this junk weighs a ton! I did consider the "better grade" of cabinetry (again Lowes and Home Depot) until I looked at it's construction as well. Just a better grade of particle-board with slightly thicker wood laminate. And it still weighs a ton! I considered the option of custom made cabinetry from a local builder until I asked them what they used and their prices. Particle-board with some plywood..a 3 month waiting list and 3 times the price. Not an option in my case. Instead I "beefed up" my walls by adding in 2x4 studs to carry the weight. Interior and exterior. I did the same for the floors. If the floors will not handle the weight..nither will the walls. Yes, it can be done. But the job starts from the foundation up. All-in-all I figger I spent $2000 just in remodeling my kitchen. My home is valued at less than that. All told I've spent 3 times what my home is valued at in the past 3 years or so of remodeling. Is it worth it? Well, I own it and it's payed for. 'Nuff said. Audie..the Oldfart..
Yanita

Thanks Audie for the input. LOL, sometimes I just assume that everyone has at least 2x4 exterior walls and at least the same with the interior.

I should remember that is not so with some homes, heck my 99 Oakwood was a clear example of less than. This 36 yo home is all 2x4's and 16 OC.

If you should remove the wall panels and beef up the exterior wall studs since you are there go ahead and add nailers into place.

Yanita
Greg

Audi (and others), I have been VERY happy with the cabinets I installed in our home. Sunco is an all hardwood / plywood cabinet at an affordable price. They are a "kit" type meaning you do have to put them together , but it takes about 10 min. to do. If you saw the finished job you would never believe they cost what they do.
I did our whole kitchen for around $1500. Audi, if you have a Mr. Seconds / Grossman's bargain outlet near you, they carry them. Greg
Serena

Greg, those do look nice. Thanks for the info and the photos!
Trudi

Wow, I'm so glad I checked back here. (Been painting while hubby's out of town) Good info.

Audie, I think she said her's is a '93 mh. I know what you mean about it being "yours" and paid for. That means a lot!

Greg, your cabinets look wonderful. Thanks for sharing; a visual always helps, and I LOVE the red!!!

Thanks to all of you.
Wolf mom

Thanks for all the info. Great thread!

That's on my list of "to do's".

I was going to look at Ikea cabinets, but no idea of construction or prices. Sunco appears the way to go.
Lane

I replaced my kitchen cabinets with some I found at an 'architectural salvage'. They demo homes and salvage the better stuff. I also have re-done my walls with 1/2" plywood over the wall inside to reinforce for strength. My 2x4's are 16"OC so I had a pretty strong structure from the start.

I watch the DIY shows and recently saw a really neat metal strip you can mount to "hang" the top of your cabinet on and then secure the lower part with screws into the same studs, after marking their location underneath the cabinet. Others might be aware of this, but I'm unable to tell you what company sells that, or if all of them have that type, but by the comments on the show I watched (Deserving Design) I don't think it's the norm. You *might* be able to go to their website to see if there's anything posted about the materials and where to purchase there. They do but a lot of supplies from Home Desperate, Lowe's and Ikea.
Yanita

Hey Fastlane!

Great to see you posting!

Those cabinets with the metal strip was mentioned not to long ago...I believe Ikea is the brand.I had thought of using them but I like older stuff so I have got my eye on some from a salvage shop, great details in these. Even come with the decorative support type thingies underneath each corner...oh crap, what are they called..I know the answer LOL.

Hope all is well with you and family! Hope to see more of you!

Yanita
oldfart

Thanks Greg..that's what I really needed to see. (big sigh and I'm laying on the floor!) I spent about twice that much for my WoodCraft Cabinets at Lowes and mine look like crap compared to yours. Hey..that's O.K.! (sniff!) After I did all this work..someone shows me a better way..no problem! And cheaper! And better quality! And less weight! {exlpetive deleted} Great Greg...just flippin' great! Well..somebody just shoot me and put me out of my misery! I'm still trying to figger out how to cut the crown-moulding to cover up the gaps above these cabinets. There's 16 different angles in the 2ft. corner cabinet alone. Audie....the Oldfart...
Greg

Audi, Crown molding is an ART. You can pull your hair out trying to get it right although I did do a job once that it just about fell together. I had a friend that told me to use a contour gauge & coping saw to do it. there are some web sites out there that deal with it also, you may want to do a Google and see if it helps. Greg
Silver Bullet 00

As Greg said cutting crown molding is an ART. I have installed it my two bathrooms, only two rooms that did not come with it. Learned to measure twice, look ten times at the angle, cut the wood upside down and hope for the best. I admit I bought some pieces twice. It is even harder if your ceilings are angled. They sell filler in tubes to correct mistakes. Have fun and take your time.