Replacing Kitchen Cabinets

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Arlo

Lane,
The cabinets you saw on "Deserving Design" are most likely from Ikea. www.ikea.com I notice a ton of high design low price items on decorating shows seem to come from there. The hanging rail is the way most European cabinets are installed. In some European apartments the tenants take their kitchen cabinets with them when they move so the cabinets are designed for easy installation and removal.

I like many Ikea designs but the products are not exactly built to last a lifetime. You also need to live near an Ikea to get them. Shipping would be cost prohibitive. If you have an hyper kid or three who like to climb on cabinets early Saturday a.m. to get their own Sugar Puffs (as I do) Ikea cabinets might not be the sturdiest choice. I have old, heavy all wood carpenter built cabinets painted white with brushed nickel knobs and they look great! I often see entire sets of similar cabinets at the Habitat Homestore.
oldfart

Well Greg you may as well give up trying to make me feel better! I bought 16ft. of unfinished oak cove-moulding and sundry tools that claim to make it easier. Horseapples! I've now got 16ft. of kindling, not much hair left to pull and a helluva beer tab. I haven't got one lousey piece of trim to fit...done with it..don't give a crap! There's more angles on these cabinets than a chinese jig-saw-puzzle and the corner-trim just gammahoooches my every attempt at fitting it. ARRRGH! Inside angles...outside angles...obtuse angles!! I'm ready to grab the bucket of Bondo and just fill in the gaps! Spackle it all and be done wi' it! Since I hoisted the cabinetry in place with a floor-jack setting on the counter-top I'm starting to think..."If I'd just had jacked that handle a few more strokes..this wouldn't be an issue!" Audie..the Oldfart. grrrrrrr....
Greg

Just a tip (a little late I guess) Buy the cheapest pine you can find as a template to find the angles first, then transfer to the expensive wood. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."