those with sump pumps?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

elkie

we have had a TON of snow and rain the last few weeks.

Our sump pump is running quite a bit, but working fine, today it doing something weird. it will run fine for a while, then all of a sudden it will start humming and water is just trickling out. If i turn off the breaker wait aobut 5 min or so it will run again fine for about 10-15 min, then again the humming comes back.

this did this over the summer after a heavy rain, did the same thing then, turned off breaking for aobut 2 hrs..then back on no problems ever again until today.

any ideas on this? dont have make/model/etc for this , will try to get it tomorrow after work.
Greg

It sounds to me like it may have sucked up a small rock or something. You may have to take the pump apart and check it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
elkie

thanks for the answer.

So how hard is it to take these pumps apart? Is there some type of clean out panel to look for?

The pump is in the crawl space
Greg

Usually at the bottom there is an impeller where the water gets sucked into, there should be a cover that comes off with either screws or possibly a snap on. Or you may be able to shake it and see if anything comes out. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."