watersofteners

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Jazzbo

We have real 'hard water' in our well. It has caused alot of problems w/lime deposits thru out the cold water lines & faucets,ect.. It was recommended we get a watersoftener. (also a filter to our incoming line).. Need info or suggestions on types to use. Cannot put it outside due to weather. We could put it in a closet---with direct line from source underneath. :cry: :(
Yanita

Hey Jazzbo,

I am going to move this thread to the Repair Forum. This forum is for questions about the functions of the website.

Follow me there! :D

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

I would contact one of the softener services and get some ideas from them. Space is a major problem, they may have a small unit. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Silver Bullet 00

I installed a Waterboss 700 water softener over three years ago. It is installed in a closet just over where the water main comes into the house. Made the installation very simple and easy. Size is 14 3/4 W x 18 3/4 deep and 25 3/4 high. I raised the clothes rod a few inches and clothes hang over it. Easy to fill once a month with 40 lb of salt tablets and the rest is automatic. Water is so much softer and no more lime build up around the spigots and I'm sure the hot water will last alot longer. Each year I dain the hot water heater and never see any build up coming out. Other peoples hot water heaters around here won't even drain cause they all clogged up with sediment. I highly recommend the make and model I have. You can reach them at www.waterboss.com and they can tell you who sells them. Hope this info helps, wouldn't be without one in the hard water area I live in.
Jazzbo

Can you give me a fair estimate for this #700 unit?
Silver Bullet 00

I can not locate my receipt but I'll estimate $375-$400. Check the website and you should be able to get some prices. As far as I'm concerned, it was well worth the investment. I really like the size of the unit and how easy it is to fill each month. Good Luck.
Silver Bullet 00

Website shows Home Depot and Ace Hardware as suppliers plus others. Price at Ace Hardware $399.00. My guess wasn't to far off.
Jazzbo

Silver Bullet 00 wrote:Website shows Home Depot and Ace Hardware as suppliers plus others. Price at Ace Hardware $399.00. Heyyy -- "OO" !!! Thanks a million for all the info. Home Depot has 'em @ $429. Once I can find an installer,that'll be my choice too. Then all I'll have to do is ---- "Git er done" !!!!!!!!!!My guess wasn't to far off.
:lol:
Demolition

Hard Water is a general term. There are many types of minerals that could be in the water. If you have a Rural Water Association near by, the plant manager might know about the water in your area. Then if you know the minerals, you can know how to treat the water.
Water can be too Soft. Shampoo and Laundry Soap need some minerals to work. When you change your water you may have to buy a different brand of soap.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
oldfart

Jazzbo I'm gonn'a jump in here and offer up some advice and thoughts. What piqued my interest is that you mentioned you had a lot of lime in your water. I have the same problem. Now I have a Roberts Water Softener. Excellent unit but like many others it doesn't/can't address the real problem. Yup..it helps, but it can't fix it entirely. Let me explain. The problem with lime in the water is that it is a dissolved mineral. It's not like "hard-water" which is a high concentration of iron in the water. I wish it was that simple. The real problem is that the lime, usually from a well drilled in limestone, is dissolved in the water and isn't extracted until it's heated. As in the hot water heater. A water-softener doesn't supply heat..so it doesn't work especially well. Yup..it'll get out the big chunks..but much of it gets past the softener. Think of it this way..dissolve a few tablespoons of sugar in a glass of warm water and it dissapears..eh? Heat it up and the sugar solidifies and falls to the bottom of the glass. Take a tray of ice-cubes out of yer freezer and drop them in a clear glass and allow them to thaw. That sediment in the bottom of the glass is lime/limestone deposit. Filters won't get it out. As a dissolved mineral it's too fine to even get picked up by carbon filters. (Pure/Britta and others) And yes, this stuff will pile up in the bottom of your hot water tank and destroy the lower element in due time. And it gunks up faucets and toilet valves and leaves a crusty residue on tubs and sinks. Rest assured a water-softener helps..but it is not a cure. I wish I had a real answer but I do not. JMHT my friend. Audie..been there..done that.
Jazzbo

Yo,old fart!! Hi---&thanks for that info/update on softeners. I've ck'd out the 'water boss' but would like more info on your "Roberts" model & price. Also where they might be available. Yes,I've lost water pressure,semi plugged faucets,ect...but would rather change out the element(s) in lieu of how it is now. Ron