Patio-mate screened enclosure

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dandjbarrett

Has anyone ever purchased one of these to screen and roof a deck? I'm a little leery, but it would be an inexpensive way to put a room/screened in room on a patio or deck.

http://www.mobilehomeadvantage.com/sku. ... 107/ID/21/

I found it browsing on My Great Home's website. We want to put a screened in porch on the back of our home and are considering this along with several other things.
Yanita

Hi,

It is a fairly decent looking! Now this is just my opinion or thoughts, and certainly you do what you think will work the best for you.

First off I am adamantly opposed to anything being secured to the side of my home. There is a fairly recent thread here where some one just had an awning ripped off the side of there home from wind.

I always chuckle when they advertise keeping you free of bugs, mosquito's etc so you can enjoy sitting outside. First off about any deck, the decking itself has space between the decking.

If you live in an area that is prone to wind storms, hurricanes etc this is not something I would recommend.

We have a very large deck on the south side of our home. I had thought I wanted something similar to what your link showed, but then talked myself out of it. So what we finally did with some creative redesign of the deck is we added a pergola type structure on one end of the deck. We covered the top with lattice. I currently have some wisteria and other climbing bushes planted on the 2 exterior corners. This structure is in no way attached to the home. In the summer when the plants are filled in it is at least 15 degrees cooler under there than the other side of the deck with no covering.

Now if you choose to plants vines like I did you have to check them weekly to make sure they do not start covering the roof or getting into the siding.

Let us know what you decide.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Koiflowers

How about something freestanding that beautiful and solves the issue of attaching to mobile home.

dandjbarrett

Koiflowers wrote:How about something freestanding that beautiful and solves the issue of attaching to mobile home.

We want a screened in porch on which we can put a grill and porch furniture that is protected from the rain.
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I think my husband has decided to contact some local contractors for estimates, etc.
dandjbarrett

Thanks Yanita and Koi for the responses. I was curious as to whether anyone has had any experience with these types of structures and wonder about the durability. The home is near the coast (about a mile and a half away) in an area that has not yet been decimated by hurricanes. We only live there part-time, but would really love to put an outside entrance to the backyard and build a screened in porch. We like to eat outside and grill out and it is virtually impossible with the prolific insect population. We have a contract with a pest control company and they come out and spray underneath the structure and inside to keep out the flying things (palmetto bugs, mosquitoes, etc.) I talked with them about adding on a porch (they already spray under the small front deck) and spraying under the porch would be included in my contract.
A free standing decorative structure would not be appealing to us even though its pretty because we'd have to take it down everytime we leave to come back north and storing the structure would be a big issue.
We're heading down there in a couple/days, so we'll get some prices and see what happens.
Yanita

Hi,

With knowing that this home is on the coast I definitely recommend that your screened in porch still be built free standing from the home. In fact the local building codes might even require it. Check the codes for yourself and be sure.

The structure that Koi showed is very pretty, I was checking some out just recently to put near my pool. It was well built, but the bottom line...the storms that have been passing through here as of late would of shredded it.

If you go to the books/parts link we have another book for sale titled Manufactured Home Additions and Roofed Decks. I was written by L.J. Wright. This is a very comprehensive manual and could greatly assist you in the building of the structure you really want.

Yanita
dandjbarrett

Thanks again, Yanita.
mist1953

Hi, About ten years ago we purchase one of these free standing screens from sears it was great and we really enjoyed not being harassed by the bugs while it lasted, then a big gust of wind came up one day and torn it to bits. We did not replaced the screen because one it was very expensive and two the insurance company did not cover it.
dandjbarrett

We decided to use Yanita's wisdom and save ourselves from having a parachuting patio-mate flying across the coast (and possibly damaging someone else's home in the process), so we decided to hire a contractor to have a screened porch and deck added to the back of our house. We have no rear door leading out to the backyard, so we're having one cut into the rear leading out of the master suite to the porch. Its very exciting but quite expensive. We think though that it will be much used and enjoyed and will add to the value of our home. We've been walking through the neighborhood of more than 100 homes and see that most of them have attached porches. The contractor we'll probably use has a great deal of experience with mobile home communities here (there are tons of them in the area) and will make the porch free standing, but will put a caulkline at the pitched roof. I used Mark's articles for some advice about attaching the porch roof. I was quite happy that when I asked the contractor about how he planned to marry the porch roof to my home, it was almost like a quote from Mark. The roof will be pitched to match the existing roof, having a ceiling fan installed and also gfi power outlets so we can add lighting, etc. The underside of the decking will also be screened to further keep out pesky mosquitoes, etc. The palmetto bugs are a big problem here, so having bug treatment is an absolute must. Some of my neighbors do not treat their homes, so they provide a nice nesting ground for migration over to my house. :(
We are both retired and the cold weather back in the mountains of home make us achey. We're hoping to spend more time here and perhaps will move permanently in the future. It is, however, very, very hard to leave our kids north of here and be here year-round. We'll just have to see how things go.
Meanwhile, after we crunch the numbers we're hoping construction will begin in a couple of weeks. I'm sure we'll take pictures of the progress and I'll try to post them up as I can.
Thanks for your input, Yanita. It is very valuable. This forum has been a God-send for me.
Yanita

Good morning,

I can certainly understand and appreciate the wanting of an outdoor space! We love all 3 of our areas.

Using a good reputable contractor will be key in this. I commend you for walking the neighborhood and checking out others construction as well.

Your area is not much different than mine, you are in the way of hurricanes. I read your profile and see that this home is a doublewide, with metal siding and roof. We usually recommend at least a couple of quotes from contractors. Make sure that they have all licensing, bonding, insurances in place. And have pulled the necessary permits to do the work.

In our books parts link above there is another book called Manufactured Home Additions and Roofed Decks, it is written by L.J. Wright. Since your contractor answered your question right to you then he shouldn't mind looking through this book.

I still completely disagree with attaching this structure directly to your home, especially since it is located in potentially high wind areas. In my area as well there are numerous homes that have attached carports and decks etc...and sooner or latter alot of them get damage from the structure, again the choice is yours. My opinion is, just because others do it does mean it is right.

I do however like the idea of putting screen underneath the deck boards, not sure why I never thought of that myself LOL. As for the entry/exit being in your master bedroom I think you will enjoy that. I know my Hubby and I do...well except for when we are entertaining at the pool and people start using that entry area!

Have a great day,

Yanita
dandjbarrett

Grrrr -- I think faster than I can type. The porch roof will not be attached except by a caulk-line to prevent leaks between the porch and the house. The porch itself will be freestanding on concrete (with rebar) piers. The roof of the porch will match the same contour of my home roof (ie, pitched-A frame), but is NOT going to be attached to my roof. The porch roof will be lower than the home roof. Whew!!! I think I said it right this time.
It appears to me that most of the homes here attached their porches directly to their houses and roofs. We do NOT plan to do that.
If you look at the Article listed on this forum about deck and porch additions, you'll see the exact concept our contractor is recommending. The article has sketch where it says "Good . . ." Here's a link to the article:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article16.htm#
Yanita

Hi,

LOL, yes I am familiar with the article, and the book I mentioned to you in my personal message contains all that info and more. But you are definitely on the right track. Sooo, glad to hear that this will be a free standing structure, and you will be as well!

Make sure to get pics as the construction begins, and post them in your photo album!

Good luck!

Yanita
dandjbarrett

Here's a little progress report. We hired a contractor to build our porch and deck and construction is supposed to begin around April 15 (tax day yechhhh). We went yesterday and ordered the back door and next week we'll cut through the back wall to put in the door. We hired a local person who lives near us in a mobile to do that job. I'm really anxious and looking forward to getting the screened room added on and it will be free standing and all the permits, etc. will be in place before construction begins. We got the approval we needed for our plans from the management of the community here, so it is now all systems go. After the storms that roared through here last night, I'm wondering if I should have built a carport first :cry: . Luckily one of my neighbors invited me to put my car under his shelter since he has a two-car shelter. He didn't have to ask twice with the forecast calling for tennis-ball sized hail!!! There was a lot of wind, rain and lightening, but the hail missed us. Whew!!!! I'm sure my husband will take pictures of every step of the construction and I'm also sure he'll micro-manage the project. :roll:
Yanita

Hi,

Glad you are getting ready for the next phase...but have you made sure that each contractor/person/neighbor/friend that is involved with this project have insurance.

You mentioned having a new door put in, make sure that a proper to code header is installed, and check to see the location of any electrical wiring. As a homeowner you can do your own wiring and then have it inspected after, but nobody else can without a permit and being a licensed electrician. just giving you a heads up...been there done that!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Yanita
arcticcat18

I bought one of these patio-mates. They work pretty good, although a little hard to set up ( you need at least 2 people, 3 would be better). It is screwed to the side of my home and to my deck. During high winds, 30 mph + they recommend taking the top tarp off of it, as it only held to the enclosure by Velcro and rope.