Re-engineer deck cover (aka extreme makeover)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark440

I have a huge deck that wraps the entire east and south sides of a 48 x 24. Most of the decking is 12' wide, except a large section on the east side that is 16' wide. There is metal roofing covering this 16' wide section (about 24 feet'). It is attached to the facia boards on one side with some very warped 2x4's spanning across the 16' to 4x4 posts. Naturally, they used the cheapest metal roofing they could find. It is beginning to show rust. Add the "sway" and the rust - and you get that Beverly Hillbillies look- before they moved to Beverly! :)

I want to: (1) tear it all off (the roofing), and (2) rebuild with it unattached to the home. Replacement of support structure is going to be the most challenging as I have the 16 x 24 feet to span.

I am wide open for ideas as I have spent four summers staring at it trying to come up with a solid plan that doesn't clutter up this area with supporting posts. Steel or metal would be fine as long as I can cover it up with wood so that it looks a little less "cold".
Yanita

Hi MArk,

I am going to move this to the Repair forum. I know we generally get alot of deck questions over here but this is a rebuild, and I don't want it to be overlooked.

Follow me there! :D

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Yanita

Hi,

Could you post some pics of the area so we have some visual to work with? Might generate some replies...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!