OSB for interior walls?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Jim

New here and have learned a considerable amount, Thanx! My question is I have a older Mobil home from the 70s and it has sheetrock on the walls, doesn't appear to be original especially since it has R-13 in the walls. Anyway, I am replacing the windows and I really do not feel the sheetrock is very sound. Under the windows there is a little black mold and I know this has to go, so I am considering replacing the sheetrock (most of it in the house) with OSB and then floating the whole sheet mud. Planning to glue and screw the OSB for strength. IS this a good idea? and if so and info would be appreciated.
Greg

Hi & welcome. You could use OSB but I can see a weight problem. If you use permiter blocking, that would support the extra weight.
If you have mold, you have moisture. I would pull the sheetrock off and find out what is going on. make sure you take precautions working around mold, it can have nasty results to your health.
I am sure others will add to this. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Demolition

I agree. One sheet of OSB aint heavy, but several sheets are very heavy.
If you go to a store that sells lumber, you can find a variety of paneling now days. Some looks like tile, some looks like that Mossy Oak Pattern, or you can go for the old fashioned woodgrain look.
It is usually $10 to $15 per sheet, which is comparable or better that OSB.
Since it is lighter, it is much easier to handle and cut.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Jim

Thanks for the replies. I can now see I am going to have to put more thought into this. OSB seemed like a really cheap and easy way to add some strength to this place. Definately right on the moisture. The old windows were leaking. Hopefully there are no other leaks! Either way I think the perimeter blocking is a great idea if just to counteract the over the roof straps.
oldfart

[quote="Demolition"]
If you go to a store that sells lumber, you can find a variety of paneling now days. Some looks like tile, some looks like that Mossy Oak Pattern, or you can go for the old fashioned woodgrain look.
It is usually $10 to $15 per sheet, WAGH! Demolition where can I find that paneling that looks like Mossy Oak Camo??? This week I'm working on remodeling the gun-room and as much as I swore I'd never do it again... I'm screwing drywall and muddin' it in. I hate this ++++! I went to Home Depot and after looking at the paneling there I decided I'd rather have my eyes gouged out and bamboo shoved under my fingernails that nail this junk to my walls. Most of it was thin as tissue paper and the finish was peeling off it while it was still in the rack. The thicker garbage was only slightly better. It was bowed, cracked and still..just junk. Whatever happened to 1/4in. luan backed paneling? My friend I even looked at the melamine panels for bathrooms....junk..just thin poorly made junk. Checked out the plastic (ABS) paneling..so thin I could read a newspaper through it. Prices started at $12 per sheet for 1/8in. thick paneling up to $40 per sheet for 5/32in. "not-much-better" paneling. Much as I hate to admit it....grrrr...I'll sling the mud on and live with the inevitable cracking of drywall before I nail such junk on my walls. Audie.....covered in dust and grittin' his tooth...The Oldfart...