Master Bath Tub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

adsweeney

Ok, I looked all around this forum for assistance on the "garden tub" removal. I was unable to find something, so if there is something please take my apologies.
I'm about to purchase a DW/MH, I think it's a 1998 model. Anyway, in the master bath there is those awful mirrors and tub. What is the best way to start removing that tub? I will be taking up the carpet and putting new flooring down and just removing the tub for now. I will place a normal one in there down the road.
So basically I will just have a stand up shower for the time being. But the flooring will cover were the garden tub was.
If anyone could give me some tips I would appreciate it.
I'm also going to replace the vanity and sinks, as they are insanely small.
Any tips on a good master bath remodel would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Harry

Hi adsweeney

To remove the tub I'd first remove the toilet and set it out back. This will give you more room. Then I cut the tub in half with a sawsall, hammer, chisel and hand saw. You'll have to go down under the home to loosen the drain pipe.

If you are just going with a shower for awhile I'm sure I'd install a shower pan. Mark sells shower pans.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Harry

Hi

And here's an article on tub replacement:

http://mobilehomerepair.com/BathtubReplace.html

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Koiflowers

April, our home is a 1999 double-wide with a garden tub and the 2'x4' shower. I hated the tub and the mirrors but I also disliked the shower and how cheaply made it was. I convinced hubby to remove the shower and use the space for storage and another sink for him to shave in.

We consider our home permanent and not to be moved again. So we removed the tub mirrors, recycled the glass shower doors, which fit perfectly to enclose the garden tub sides, tiled the surround area (first we screwed on cement board), added new faucet and shower. I like it now, because the bathroom is so much larger, the shower/garden tub is huge and has a seat to sit on while shaving legs. I pull a clear shower curtain around to seal the area and it keeps the glass clean, too.

Picture looking through the door into the bathroom. The sink sits on a triple dresser we had no other use for.

Where the shower had been we raised the floor about 6 inches to reroute the plumbing, added a cabinet, installed a pedestal sink top
for hubby to shave at.

Dean2

Now that is 1 cool lookin tub/shower!

Dean