New Cabinets

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JimG

I would like to replace some old cabinets in a 1969 SW/MH. The current cabinets seem to be cheaply made and in need of replacement. Actually the cabinets seem to be pieced together, would like to replace cabinets attached to wall and those on floor. They seem very light weight, any ideas on where to purchase cabinets for older MH?
Koiflowers

I love Ikea's kitchen cabinets. They are really stylish, come in a multitude of door styles, colors, finishes, and price-range. They also carry a huge array of extras, like pull out spice racks, pantry with pullouts, deep pot drawers, dividers, islands. Anything you can think of, they've got it. I've used Ikea cabinets on several different remodels. Mobil and non-mobil. In my opinion they eclipse Lowe's and Home Depot in beauty and price.

What I like best is that all upper cabinets hang on a single, sturdy horizontal metal track that you cut to size. For example, if you are hanging 10 running feet of cabinets, the track spans across all 10 feet. Thus bridging several wall studs so it's extra secure. And if the track is dead-level, so are all the cabinets. Hoist them up onto the track, slide them into place, bolt to the track and your done.

Our wall studs are 24-inch on center which would have made hanging a cabinet only 12 or 18 inches wide difficult. The track system solves the problem. And I love the way you can slide the cabinets left and right until they are positioned perfectly.

Ikea ships, and has an on-line catalog.
JimG

Thanks for responding, I'll check out the cabinet company. The metal tracks sound like a good idea. I wasn't sure how I would go about hanging cabinets on the walls existing home.