Need to change bathtub color!!!!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tiggereverett

Help! I know you guys will have great ideas, you always do. I have a plastic mustard yellow bathtub in my newly bought MH and while we r replacing the matching sink I just can't afford a new tub. I've seen various ideas online. I've thought about a liner but not sure how much that would run me. I've also seen pros and cons on painting the tub. Which is where I'm leaning. But if I do that can I seal it with polyurethane to make it last longer? I'm looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks
Koiflowers

I got a quote for a tub/surround liner several years ago, and it was simply jaw-droppingly outrageous. About $2,400. Maybe prices have dropped since then. Or maybe I was being taken!
tiggereverett

I think I have found the answer with epoxy acrylic primer and paint. Anyone have any experiences?
troyster

Hi T/E! I faced the same dilemma with my puke green tub and shelled out the $375 bucks Canadian and got it professionally refinished and my wife and I are thrilled with the results.It is a little gritty in spots so I would suggest the extra cost non slip coating on the bottom of the tub. You need to purchase gentle tub cleaners ( non abrasive ) my refinishing guy sells a year supply for $ 20 bucks. If i replaced with a 54 inch mobile home tub plus the shipping costs I would have paid more than this plus the headache of ripping my bathroom apart. no thanks!. We only had to wait 12 hours and were able to shower the next day. It is the lowest cost alternative and we were able to save our "deep" tub and not have to settle for a shallow one. I will post pictures if someone wants to see it. troyster
Yanita

Hey Troyster!

I do, I want to see pics.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
troyster

OK Yanita I have posted a picture of my refinished tub in my photo album. troyster
Yanita

Hey Troyster,

Thanks for the pic. How long have you had this done. How is it holding up? It looks good!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
troyster

Hi Yanita! the tub was done last August and still looks the same as first day it was done. We don't regret doing this at all. colors changed and never missed a shower. plus didn't have to crawl under home to shut water off (bonus) we were able to retain deep tub which my wife Cheryl wanted all along. She hates the new shallow tubs. later