Replacement radio for Mobile home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mist1953

I've searched the Internet and can not locate a replacement for our stereo system that is installed in our home. The cassette player just shot craps and we would like to replace it. Not necessarily with a cassette player but something that we can fit in the area the old one was.
I could just cover it up and buy a regular system but this one plays in all rooms of our home which is nice when I'm doing my cleaning.
Would anyone know where I can locate such a replacement??
Koiflowers

I know it's a little quirky, but I removed the unit from the wall and made a flat removable cover painted the color of the wall.

I wired the ceiling speaker wires to the surround sound wires that I fished up into the inside of the wall through a small hole in the baseboard. I twisted the wires together and taped with electrical tape.

Now I play the music channels the cable company (Dish has them, too) offers through the surround sound system. I like it so much better than that radio unit, because there are no commercials.

You still get the benefit of the speakers, just another source feeding them.
Greg

As far as a direct replacement I have my doubts you will find one unless you can find one on Ebay or at a dealer that is demoing one.
You may be able to build something and set a radio/CD player in it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

HI,

I would think that you could replace with any system of your choice, providing it fits the area provided. If it happens to be smaller you could trim the area out with some decorative moldings.

Just a thought,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Dean2

I like Kois' idea,,any reduction in commercials is a HUGE PLUS in My book.
To go with Yanita and keep Your place more to the original plan You could measure the length/width/depth of the old insert and search for ones that will fit well. A somewhat smaller unit might actually be a good thing to allow for heat it generates to escape.

Dean
mist1953

I'd love to replace it with another unit with a CD player instead of a cassette but its in the outside wall of the home so it could not be more then 4 inches deep. Due to the location of the unit (half way up the wall in the kitchen by the breakfast bar) I would want to disguise it so it does not stick out like a sore thumb. Thank you all for your suggestion. I will check with a few mobile home dealers to see if they have any to spare and check on e-bay.
Koiflowers

If your unit is in the Kitchen (mine was in the living room near the TV), they make a thin, compact unit with CD player on the bottom, that hangs under a kitchen cabinet, rather discretely. You might consider wiring a unit like that into your existing speaker system wiring.
mist1953

I did check into those, I found one from Sony but there is not a way to wire it into the system as the unit is sealed, I'd have to open it up and void the manufactures warranty. It does not have any outside jacks or we could run the wires from there. Its got a great sound and it would sound even better hooked up to the surround sound system. I'll keep looking. Thank you
SpongeBob

Hi, have you considered the possibility of going wireless? Since you already have internet and your pc probably can play cd's, and internet music, then you have the ability to plug a small transmitter into your pc and place discreet wireless speakers anywhere within the home. The speakers come with a/c adapters or you can use them d/c. I use that method and they work great. Just a thot.
-Bob