exterior wall metal

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

flgmtech

the trailer I am working on has three pieces, one top one that is from the top down about 5 feet long, then a inch strip of metal towards the bottom to allow for transition from the top piece over the bottom piece. then the bottom piece which is about 3 feet.
When I was installing a new door I had to take out an old window that was just wedged into the side of the trailer and was not secured, it had rotted the surrounding frame wall and the floor.
So I tore out all rotted wood including all the rotten floor joists. I installed new pressure treated 2 x 6 floor joists with hangers and a new 3/4 inch sub floor and then framed out a new wall to include the new door..
However I replaced the exterior wall with new single piece 4 x 8 aluminum walls at the tune of 27.00 a piece and it looks so much better and does not need all of the transitional pieces as the old walls.
Why would someone install a bunch of piece mill walls when the one piece roof to floor is so much easier and cleaner looking??
Did I do the right thing??
Help! :shock:
JD
Site Admin

Nothing wrong with using one piece of MH aluminum siding on the wall. Sounds like I would have done the same thing. All of the pieces may have just been gingerbread design.

The aluminum siding should have some sort of a pattern of ribs in it to keep it from "oil canning" . Usually the top of the siding will go into some type of trim piece, but a lot of homes just have it go all the way under the drip rail. There are usually 3 horizontal rows of screws about 3 ft apart, starting on the bottom edge.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.