New Door Problems

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

flgmtech

I installed a new prehung 36 x 72 exterior mobile home door yesterday. After installing the door I was attempting to install the door handle I had purchased at Lowes when I found the receiver of the door would not work. I called the mobile home center where I bought the door,.... and lo and behold, you can not use standard door kits you have to buy mobile home door handle and deadbolt kits, at 69.00
Needless to say I had to go back to the mobile home center and purchase this,
It seems like a shoddy design., the mechanism is a slotted sleeve that presses into the door like a compression fit but it still bulges out at the door edge, I had to use a piece of 2 x 4 scrap to straighten the door. Not a good design.
JD
Site Admin

72" door sounds like an outswing. The ones we get are made by Phillips or Active. They come 1-3/8" thick with a small amount of wood blocking at the knob/deadbolt area. We used to order them with deadbolts and knobs from the factory, but they were such junk and constantly had problems sticking. We now get the KwikSet Valiant DB & Knob set from Lowe's. If your door is less than 1-3/8 thick, you would have to get a special knob.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

That's one of the main reasons we went through the pain of installing a regular house door on the back of the home. Already have one on the front.

It cost us about $130.00. dead bolt and knob another $60, we got a good middle of the road set. It was 6 painful hours of remodel, but I'd do it again in a heart beat!

It's been in for a year and a half... and I love it! Much more secure than mobile home doors!

Maureen 8)