roof question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

itsmee

Hello

I have read and read about the roofs in this forum and i cannot find a decent answer to my question.

So i hope this does not sound like a repeat but

does anyone know , i have a 1994 Commodore with a metal roof and would like to change that to shingles , ever heard a metal roof roar when its windy???? , oh man is it loud

so my question is , i know i could do a roof-over pole barn type one , but i see other Mobiles in this park that look identical to mine and they have shingle roofs on them.

or do i just need to get some kind of structural engineer to tell me if the walls would handle the load ?????, actually the walls im not afraid of they are 2x4's , its the rafters that cause me concern and also the fact the roof would be pushing out on the walls as well as down.

any help would be appreciated as this roaring is getting to me nerves !!!!!!!!

i am unsure the park would even let me do the pole barn roof-over cause those would have to be set in the ground and they don't allow that here that i know of.

thanks for any info and love this site , lots of good answers on here

enjoy your day
SpongeBob

Hello and Welcome to the forums itsmee!
You will get some expert advice here, especially roof questions will yield great advice from JD (member/moderator). Always nice to see a new member.

-Bob
JD
Site Admin

Hello and welcome to the forum,

My standard answer would be that I would not recommend it. But I have seen exceptions, especially in some home manufacturers that have homes that are approximately the age of yours and newer.

Some manufacturers are big on upgrade options, such as metal roof or shingle roof. I have seen some of these homes to have the same framing and even roof sheathing under the galvanized metal roofs as they have on their shingle roofs.

I'd recommend to contact the manufacturer. Depending on how helpful they are, they may not only give you a definite answer, they may be able to provide you with drawings that would satisfy the building department in your area to get a permit.

www.commodorehomes.com
(574) 533-7100
Email: [email protected]

Looking at the trusses may give you some idea, but this would not be the same as an engineering report. To get a permit in my area, you would need the original drawings with specs or an engineering report.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
itsmee

Ok thanks Spongebob and JD for your timely answer.

JD i had heard that they sometimes did what you said about the sheeting under the metal roof , i have contacted them by e-mail and await their response.

I just hope they are as timely as you were about answering.

Thanks again for the help and i'll let you know thier answer.

Thanks again !!!
Brenda (OH)

if the answer is no on the roof redo, is there anyway to cut down on the noise with insulation or sound deadening material in the ceiling?

just curious...

Brenda (OH)
JD
Site Admin

Hi Brenda,

I sell an insulated roof product that totally eliminates roof rumble, and even takes the heavy rain sound down to near zero. You would still hear rain on awnings and such. But I only sell this product in my area around Fresno, CA. There is another dealer just north of Sacramento. There may be similar mobile home roof products in your area.

But as far as sound board in the ceiling, I doubt it would do much good. When that big piece of galvanized lifts and drops, you are like living in a drum. Rumble bolts can reduce noise, but I can guarantee you will have chronic roof leaks.

Used tires might work. You can dress them up by planting flowers in the middle. And of course I am kidding. :)

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Manitoba Bill

Before you give up on your current roof check to see that a re-level hasn't buckled it and is keeping it away from the rafters.

Sight down the roof-line and see if there is any deviation from straight and level.

JD; Have you ever heard of using metal straps to quieten a roof?
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
appletonbill

How about a rubber roof? Ours was on when we bought the place ten years ago, and we don't have any leaks or rumble. I think they are supposed to last around 25 years or so. Also a lot easier to install than trusses, sheathing and shingles. I believe the price is reasonable also.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
itsmee

the mobile is level , metal roofs are fastened in the middle and at the walls only , so it can and DOES flex in the middle , there are no fasteners in the middle of the roof , hence the rumbling that happens anytime the wind blows hard

so what JD says is all true about trying to deaden the sound , lolololol , good one about the tires JD

as far a a rubber roof , i have checked that option and they are pricey , more then 5k around here , half what i paid for the home itself

am waiting on a responce if i get one , if not , i guess maybe a good set of earplugs will have to do :shock:
JD
Site Admin

I have seen pictures of houses with straps over them ending in ground anchors. I think they were some of the first attempts at hurricane straps or retrofits into pre-hud homes that did not have them built into the home. I have never seen them in person but aren't really an extreme high wind area. Manitoba Bill's absolutely right about the relevel. I have seen homes so badly out of level that the roof had 4-5 diagonal humps that looked like swells in the ocean. A tight roof will certainly make less noise.

$5000 for a single-ply (rubber) roof from a contractor sounds like a good to low price to me. I know they get more for them in my area. There are also several grades and material types of single-ply roofing. There is TPO, EPDM, PVC and others, with grades running from almost paper thin (PVC) to shoe leather thick. In the early days, they would frame around the home and vents with flat 2x4s and fill the "field" with batt insulation, which is then covered with the membrane product. This was found to be a major bad idea because of ponding. For many years now, they have been using polyiso board or some other type of rigid insulation, making for a pretty good roof. Any re-roof product like these will hold down roof rumble.

Short of the tire/flower garden idea, I am sure there are many creative ways a person can stop roof rumble. But all approved mobile home re-roof products will be expensive. I am thinking inexpensive quick fixes will cause leaks or damage the home or else those "fixes" would be well known in the mobile home repair industry. Being practical, I am thinking it is a nature of the beast type of thing. I know it does sound much worse than it really is. This type of problem happens to all rolled metal roofs in high wind. The variable is how much noise a particular roof will make.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!