Replacing a floor in bathroom

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

reezer

I am ready to start floor replacement this weekend and I want to put a valve in the toilet inlet line so I can keep the water on while I work. It measures close to 1/2" but it may be smaller. I have a 1/2" inline valve but I afraid to cut it if it doesn't fit. I bought a cap for 1/2" HOT WATER line just in case. My question is; do mobile homes use something other than the standard 1/2" for these lines? Should I go to a mobile home place to order such a part as the hardware store did not have anything less than a 1/2" valve?

Thanks
Scottie
Greg

What type of pipe are you working with? Grey, White, PVC, galvanized, copper? there are too many possibilities to be able to give you an honest answer. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
reezer

It is gray. I am so glad you answered because I don't want to start this until I know! It looks slightly smaller than 1/2". I onced owned a home and this mobile deal is like working on Mars!
Thanks
Greg

It is most likely the PBS tubing, that was the forerunner to PEX. There were some people that had problems with it, usually at the connectors, if you have brass or copper compression rings at the fittings you are probably OK.
You can buy compression couplings at the home centers that will work on it. Stay away from the grey plastic valves, they seem to have a lot of problems, instead I would get an adaptor from plastic tube to 1/2" pipe, get a brass or chrome shutoff and then copper/chrome tube to the bottom of the toilet. Greg
Greg

Oh ya, sorry, it is most likely a 1/2" tube. Greg
reezer

I am reading about images, and I am not sure how to upload these three pics of this thing to you. I have two websites but they are password protected.

The gray tube has a metal band around apparently to hold on this gray plastic coupling. The compression part of this thing appears to be a gray plastic tip that is part of the gray coupling with ribs on it. Then this white plastic nut with a rubber washer just slips over the coupling.

I have the images if you can tell me how to get them to you.
Thank you!!!![/img]
Yanita

Hi Reezer,

This site is brand new this week, the admins are still trying to get it so we can post pics within the post. In the meantime go to the top of the main page and click Albums, I think, and see if you can post there.

Welcome to the site.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
reezer

The pics are posted on personal album (reezer). Below is my last statement. Thanks!!!
Reezer

The gray tube has a metal band around apparently to hold on this gray plastic coupling. The compression part of this thing appears to be a gray plastic tip that is part of the gray coupling with ribs on it. Then this white plastic nut with a rubber washer just slips over the coupling.
Greg

It looks like 1/2" to me. you could either work with the end that you have now (should be 1/2" f/m pipe thread) or buy the compression type connector. A third option (more expensive) would be to buy a crimp tool (used to crimp the copper band on the fitting you now have) and just buy the push in fittings & crimp them.
Mark has an article on this in the articles section. Greg