What To Do About Tie Down Straps???

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

shadow745

I'm happy with the answers I received on my first thread regarding rusty I-beams, so I thought I'd throw this out there. As I mentioned in the first thread, my wife and I own a 2,400 sq. ft. ranch modular made by Crestline. It is considered a true modular and is certainly built to the same high standards with quality materials as any site built house. But it is an on-frame modular so I guess some mobile home rules apply since it has the steel frame and tie downs. Regarding the tie downs, there are many of them properly spaced and installed. I noticed they are primarily on the side of the house that is the highest off the ground. They don't run the full length of the house and some weren't put in because of the large ductwork. Small problem is that 2 of them have popped loose. When the anchors were installed and the tie downs installed the 2 that snapped broke at the anchor point because that part of the tie down was buried under the dirt in that area. The rest of what I can see aren't buried, but have a clean connection at the anchor point. Now I know it's suggested to get these re-installed to provide support and keep everything in place during high wind. But, this house weighs 94,000 lbs. and I truly don't think it's going anywhere because of 2 straps not being in place. Now at first I thought they had alot of tension on them and were holding the house down to an extent. But when I tug on what's under there now, they are firm, but not guitar string tight. It appears they are really there just for extra support in the case of high winds. Now I have seen many single and double wides that HAD to have these to give all the support they needed, but those homes didn't weigh 47 tons either. What are your thoughts? Should I get them put back in place? Thanks for any info. Later!
Harry

Hi

Your concerns are valid.

I would:

- check with the county to answer the local building code questions ie. are tie-downs needed in your case.

- replace the broken parts (around here Lowes sells them) they were put there for a reason.

Good Luck

JMHO

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

My first thought is that the straps are there for a reason, now what the reason is is an other question. In a hurricane force wind the home is most likely going to be history, but I guess that if the frame is still there you can prove where it started from.
Personally I would say that if the home is stable and piers are in good shape put the missing straps towards the bottom of the "to do" list, But remember is there the next time the wife has another job for you that you REALLY don't want to do. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Good one Greg! But I am not sure if it changes the list or adds to it.

I do agree with Harry and Greg here. You should repair the straps. Especially as picky as insurance companies have been getting. There may be a statement in your policy stating "Properly Installed".

As Greg said, if you get a direct hit from a "big one", the tie down straps and frame may be the only parts left intact. But when ever there is this kind of damage, there has to be many more homes that were in the fringe areas of damage as in, almost blown off the piers or almost survived the winds. I would think that properly installed straps would be very beneficial for these homes.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Demolition

You might check with a Licensed Mobile Home installer in your area. Sometimes for a small job like that, the boss would let us do a "Side Job" we could take the tools and go put on some straps for someone.

An Installer is going to have the fancy strap wrench and has experience using the tool. Plus they don't mind getting dirty.

If you go to church, and don't want to cuss... have an installer put on the straps for you.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town