How to repair wiring cut off at ceiling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

flgmtech

The mobile home we bought has had all of the overhead wiring going to every ceiling fixture cut off at the ceiling where they came out of the ceiling down and into the circuit panel box.

A friend advised on removing a section of the ceiling and adding to the exisiting wiring and insatlling an access panel there in the ceiling for future access. I am not sure if that would be wise??

Also, I have considered removing all exisisiting fixtures and attatching a fishtape to the end at the panel box and pulling it out of the ceiling where the fixture was and then attatching new wire to the now exposed fish tape and pullinmg back through to the panel box.

Any one have a recommendation?

Tim
hvac1000

According to the NEC you can splice the wires in a correctly sized electrical box with cover. Also you have to have a access panel for all splices in the wall or ceiling.

The fish tape deal could become a real pain to do. Splice is easier and will be just as good if done properly. Pay special attention to the grounds in the splice box and if it is a metal box be sure to bond/ground the bare ground wires to it using the corect clip or green head grounding screw. If you use rated boxes and they are plastic you obviousely do not have to bond/or ground them.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Maureen

Hello,

Just be very careful! Normally we don't give out much info concerning electrical or gas line work here. It's a matter of life and death sort of thing.

My recommendation is that if you have any questions, you hire a professional to do the job. It's always better safe than sorry!

Maureen 8)
Robert

Hi Tim,

IF you decide to DIY, hvac1000 is correct. Make sure junction box is correct size, with cover and easily/quickly accessible.

If unsure at all, then call an Electrician and have him/her do it for your and your families safety.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
flgmtech

Thanks Robert, Maureen and hvac1000,

I did electrical work in the service as that was my MOS, however it was all industrial where everything was run through conduit.
I am also amazed at how home electrical is run through the ceilings so helter skelter with no raceways or conduit, yes they use romex but it seems strange nonetheless.
I am running new service through the walls I am erecting and using nailer plates in front of each stud where the wires run through them to ensure no chance of being hit by future users,
I just did not know how the wiring in a mobile home with no attic space ran the wiring inside the ceiling.
But I do appreciate all the wisdom of caution because electical can be dangerous if done incorrectly.
Thanks again for your advice.

Tim
Robert

Hi Tim,

You're very welcome. The biggest eye opener to MH's is open up a ceiling or wall and have a look see.

They'll have the wiring run through the underbelly, walls, attic area and sometimes underneath the belly.

The main issue is good grounds, tight connections, junction boxes that MUST be accessible and correct wire to breaker matches.

Have fun as you travel down the MH enlightenment trail,LOL. :wink:

Be sure to take pics when possible of your projects to help others who might be embarking on the same task.

BTW, wanted to welcome you aboard and say many thanks for the automotive technical assistance offered to forum users.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
flgmtech

Thank you Robert for the warm welcome and the advice.

I have taken before pictures and need to take more of the current ongoing repairs.

I spent today removing a 8 foot section of wall to replace the flooring underneath, all the 2 x 6 floor joists and the wall studs with headers and blocking supports. I also reattatched the previously removed underbelly and insulated the joists and used a 3/4 inch plywood subfloor. Tomorrow I start on the wall frame up for the new exterior door and then install the exterior metal siding and trim .
I have so much work to do it may take a year or more to be at a state of readiness to move in.

But thanks to everyone of you here at MPS it is a challenge I feel more comfortable doing with all of your insight and advice.

Thank you all again.

Tim