framing the basement off

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jed58st

Hello, I purchased my first home about 2 years ago. It is a dw on a full basement with an integral garage. I have been busy tearing down batten strips and finishing the walls upstairs, but I have spent more time on building my barn and doing landscaping. Anyhow, when I finish the main living area, I would like to start finishing off the basement. I was planning on starting with the garage area. I'm not exactly sure how to mount the top plate for my walls. I grew up in a stick built home and have no experience with the metal bracing below the floor joists. Some of the braces seem to sit slightly lower than the others making for an uneven mounting surface. I would really appreciate some advice if anyone has done this before. Thanks

Joe
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

A lady named Sylvia and her Hubby have their doublewide on a full foundation, you could check her photo album and see what she has for pics in there. Or possibly do a search on all post by Sylvia, you can do both by clicking on her name, this will take you to her profile, click album or post, these are located towards the bottom of the profile.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
jed58st

Thanks Yanita.
Yanita

Hi,

Your welcome. I am sorry that I can not give you the info you asked for, not something that I have ever done personally although I have a few friends that have.

As the day progresses more folks will come along after work and hopefully have some suggestions for you.

If need be you can also send Sylvia a personal message via the site through her profile.

Yanita
StillKavey

Im not exactly sure what you mean by some sit lower than others.. but if the home is level and all the only thing that you could really do is get your tablesaw out and rip some lumber down to the righ thickness and use a hilti (or your choice) and stick some nails into the metal bracing to even it out and then drywall over it. Sorry.. I am also fairly new to MH's but have been in construction since I was old enough to be on a jobsite.
Sylvia

You will probably need to have the ceilings a tad lower than the metal as we did. Our ceilings in the basement are lower than I'd have wished them to be to account for the metal beams. We actually have a criss cross of beams welded together with the others imbedded in the basement walls.

DH says that he braced the horizontal walls to the floor joists of the main structure where ever he could attach them. The outside walls are attached with u brackets that fit over a two by four and he put a concrete bolt on each side of the two by fours spacing about 4 to 6 foot apart along the outside perimeter. Start with the outside walls, use drylok to seal them, anchor the studs to the concrete with concrete bolts, add insultion.

We will look for a picture. What ceilings do you want? Dry wall or suspended? That would make a difference how it's anchored.
Yanita

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for the in put here. I have been through your photo album a few different times...if you could or have some pics of the actual construction of your basement would you mind sharing them in your album.

Hope all is well with you, haven't seen you here in a bit.

Yanita
Sylvia

Yanita, it's been hectic here. Son is having a baby and possibly moving home with his girl, finals and Christmas and work stuff to boot.

I'll check and see what pictures I have. I have a new laptop and everything is in funny places. We didn't take as many pictures when we got to the framing bit.

I'll upload what I can find when I get a chance.
jed58st

Thanks for the suggestions sylvia,

I'm planning on doing a drop ceiling over the garage area, drywall ceiling over the future living areas, and nothing over the storage area with the culligan system and hot water tank. I'm just going to start with the framing off the garage now, cause I still have some more work to do upstairs, but I really would like to partition that area off this winter. Thanks again

Joe