Ceiling light

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can tell me how to remove the cover off a kitchen ceiling light to replace the bulbs inside. I have smaller ones in the bathroom, where you just lift the cover up and slide over, the kitchen one is different. Any help appreaciated.

Thank you

Howdy -

The one that I had were like normal stick built house lights, a basic globe cover. If yours is the same, there should be screws around the fixture that you can loosen so that you can get the globe down and replace the light.

Good luck!!

This fixture has 4 long tube lightbulbs in it, and is recessedinto the ceiling with this plastic clear cover, I've tried lifting if, I tried bending it, It snapped in the corner, I don't know how to get it off.

Ah...sounds like a flourescent fixture - can you see any snaps or similar holding the cover in place? Alternately, the cover may slide out of one end.
Archie

Most I have dealt with have two little wire triangles on one of the long sides of the cover, on the inside edge where the lens is. I use a screw driver to pull these out as they are latches and the panel swings down.
Greg

Most of the flush mounted that I have seen use latches on one side that pull down to open. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Hi Guys,

Have the same type of lighting in my kitchen. No special clips at all.

But, here's what happened to us, we had a faulty range hood. We have a drop down ceiling with florescent lighting. The grease from the kitchen sealed the plastic panels to the frame.

Once we purchased the home, we replaced the cook top, range hood, and I tore out the plastic panels and tossed them. They were beyond cleaning.

Both Lowes and Home Depot sell these plastic panels. They're pretty cheap, if I remember right.

We didn't discover the problem until one of the florescents went out on us also.

Maureen