Tighten hinges

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hiskid1973

I have a bathroom door(regular house interior door) that swings halfway closed when put against the stop..What is the easiest way to tighten the hinges so it stays where it's put..thanks.God Bless You..
Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

First be sure that the swinging isn't because the home is unlevel. If other doors that hang the same way in that area of the house don't swing, then its probably the door.

Which part of the hinge is loose -- the part that connects to the door, or to the jam?

In the jam you may be able to just use longer screws. In the door you can try a little fatter screw. If that don't work, then you'll have to add some filler to the hole for the screw to grip and rescrew the screw.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
happysmyly

If the screws are loose and the holes for them are too big now, I have had success by using wooden toothpicks (the round ones) and wood glue in the holes--cutting the toothpicks flush with the jam (or door)--this gives the screws good material to grip. Good luck!
Mark
Site Admin

Happysmyly,

That was a good tip -- using toothpicks. I was trying to think of some common material that would work as a filler.

Good tip,
Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
hiskid1973

I checked and there is a larger door to floor gap at the latch from the hinge side..So I am guessing it is a level problem..Thanks for the replies..
Robert

Mark,

I have used toothpicks on numerous occasions and they work well.

My favorite though is golf ball tees. Cover with wood glue, tap it in as far as it will go tightly, then score it with a box cutter and snap off remainder.

Usually depends on the hole size.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Maureen

Yep Robert, golf tees work wonders on those larger holes! I don't play, but my brother does. He knows to bring me all the old ones. They make good little dowels for craft projects also!

I've also used toothpicks, and those little bamboo sticks that you get at dollar or craft stores.

As long as you can mix wood with glue, you've got something to secure the hinge to.

But yeah, my first thought is to relevel. Now, to relevel your home properly, please order Mark's book, or ask more questions. Our homes need to be releveled in certain ways. A 4 foot level isn't going to get it.

Maureen 8)