possible to put gutters on a manufactured home?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sneezy0813

Hi, nice site:) Sorry for the confusion, my husband and I have just recently decided to attempt to take on some of the repairs on our home ourselves, due to the lack of assistance we've been able to find in our area .
Here's my question, I currently own a doublewide manufactured home, with a shingled roof, that peaks above the door. It does not have any type of gutter or tray or anything of that nature to catch some of the rain water. Is it possible to get these installed on our home? Over the years, there has been a trench wore into the ground in the front and rear of our house where the water has been running off the roof. Is is better to to try to put some kind of gutter up or to try to but some kind of landscaping corrogated tubing around the edging to allow the water to run off?
Yanita

Hi,

And Welcome to the site! :D

You can install traditional gutters with down spouts so the water is moved away from the home. You can get the gutters at any home improvement store and install yourself, or contract to have them installed.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Barb P

MY hubby installed aluminum gutters when the home was new.
They lasted about 15 years, before the brackets finally gave out.
I had professionals install vinyl ( I think that's what it is) and they are solid, no trouble at all.
BarbP
moondog52

We have 65 homes on 65 acres here in our community. While we don't see a lot of rain per year (about 12 inches) when it comes down it can be heavy.

While most of the homes, including mine have the vinyl gutters, we have laid down 1" crushed granite all around the base of the home.
This really helps to disburse the rain that comes off sections that don't have a gutter or for overflow from the gutter during a really big downpour.

Costs a bit and a 'lil bit to install, but it works well. Oh, and going on 10 years with the vinyl gutters still in great shape here in sun country ;)

Brad
Mark
Site Admin

Welcome Moondog52,

I actually went one step further than granite -- I installed drain tile around my home. Then it drains downhill towards the street.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Harry

Hi Moondog

My neighbor friend came around recently to admire my 6" aluminum seamless gutters which never overflow. Seems he recently installed 4" gutters and they overflow in a heavy rain.

Good luck
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Maureen

Gutters are a sore subject around here right now in the Winter! before we lost the carport two years ago, we had 4 inch gutters that did a very good job!

Now, we have no gutters under the main entrance to the home, which is through the back door. Hubby comes home every night griping.. and each night I tell him that all we need is gutters up on the roof!

For those new the forum, I'll do just about any repair, well yeah I have, except going up on the ladder... major fear of heights here. So yeah, it's up to hubby to either pay someone to repair gutters, or do it himself!

4 inch gutters, 6 inch gutters, it all depends on where you live and how much run off you have. 4 inch gutters are fine, if you keep them maintained!

Maureen 8)
sneezy0813

thanks for all the replies. I guess the next part is just finding someone to do it. It'd really be nice not to have a swamp in our front yard(and back for that mater) every time it rains
My other question is, we're in a park, so the short end of the house is facing the street. How do we face the downspouts on the back end of the house(end of the house that is at the end of a very small lot) so that the water is actually moved away from the house and not just pooling up where it runs off?
Sylvia

Gutters can be a diy project. DH said it would help to have more than one person though.
Yanita

Hi,

If you are physically unable to install the gutters yourself, Lowe's does installs, and I believe Home Depot does as well. Sorry I do not know the charge for it.

Have a great day.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Yep Yanita,

Both home stores do install gutters! I know that very well!

Trust me, if we don't have gutters where the old carport once was, I'm gonna charge it to hubby! He's had 2 years to fix it, hasn't happened yet LOL! He isn't gonna like that bill!

Maureen 8)
klm9707

We also had seamless gutters installed on our home. Absolutely love them.
Mickey

my boyfriend, who is NOT a handy man installed our gutters that we got from Lowes. Needless to say, they are falling down :oops: I want to get the seemless gutters (installed professionally) but haven't done it yet cause I don't know how much they'll cost.