Deck vs. Porch

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cottonlily

I would love to have a porch. We have just those standard decks - something like 3'x4' with rails now. So hubby finally comes around to the porch idea (on his own, mind you). Except he wants a deck, no roof.

He insists that, since we'll be doing it ourselves, the roof would be too much to handle. I think not. To me there's not much point in adding a deck without a roof. (btw it will even be "porch sized" 8'x16' and on the front of our SW) You'll still have the sun scorching & fading and you'll still have the rain messing everything up.

Does anyone have any experience building a porch, with roof, onto their MH?
Yanita

Hi,

There are several pics of decks/porches in the photo albums, sorry I can't think of a specific one at this time. The key thing to remember about building either is to make sure they are self standing, in others words no part of the deck/porch is attached to the home.

There are many websites that have free designs of decks/porches or you can design your own and take the plans to Lowe's and they can give you a complete material list and cost.

On the back side of our home we have a 12x24 deck, as you said the sun can get almost unbearable...on the further end we built a pergola, I planted several vines on the pergola, gives perfect shade...just make sure to keep the vines trimmed away from the home.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
cottonlily

I've heard that keeping it separate from the home thing before. Why is that? Reason I ask is b/c the previous owners had one attached to it and left gaps in the vinyl when the moved if off. The gaps had to be filled in with some type of colored plexiglass stuff for aesthetics.

Is freestanding advised b/c of settling or water damage, etc?
Yanita

Hi,

Because our homes shift, pretty much regardless of the area we live, whether it be frost heaves or to much rain. If they are attached and shifting occurs the home can lean one way the deck/porch another or both lean in towards one another...either scenario can cause major structural damage to the home.

If doing this project for the first time I advise either purchasing the actual Repair manual or the download. This is covered within.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
oldfart

Aye M'am as Mz Yanita mentioned it's probably not best to attach a a deck or porch directly to our homes. You wouldn't believe how much these homes move via expansion and contraction thru the seasons. Not only does the ground heave and fall the homes themselves actually expand and contract! Doors stick and windows don't work proper at some times of the year because of it. Something to bear in mind is we add decks to allow open areas to enjoy the sun..but sometimes it's too much of a good thing. Some shading is more energy efficient as well. I assume the deck/porch will be supported by 4X4 or 4X6 posts? These same posts can extend far enough above the deck/porch flooring to support a simple roof over some part of said structure. Audie..the Oldfart...
Greg

Lilly, You would not believe just how much these homes do move, up here in the cold the ground will heave 2-3 " in some spots. It is common for skirting bow out and in some cases come out from under the home. I know you don't get the cold that we do, but as Yanita said rain & wet weather will do the same. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Demolition

There is also Synthetic Wood on the Market now. It is wood chips and recycled plastic molded into wood shape. These manufacturers often have design plans so you can use their boards to make your porch.

One caveot' is the fake wood is not always good for framing because it don't support the weight. So you can use Pressure Treated Boards for the frame and either Pressure Treated or Fake Wood for the Deck.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Robert

Also, if not doing a roof on the deck, you can use Dek Blocks that will float with the ground movement.

However, if doing a roof, then it must be concreted in the ground to keep it from becoming a giant umbrella in a wind storm.

Also, use wood screws and construction adhesive, not nails to keep it from pulling apart later.

I also prefer 2X6 deck boards as opposed to the regular deck boards that are 5/4".

They tend to hold up better.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?

Hey...Welcome back Audie. Long time no see.
If you are doing a roof, don't do what the previous owner of my MH did when building his addition. He attached the roof directly to the MH, removed a row of shingles and re-shingled everything. It has been a constant source of leaks inside the addition. The pitch of the addition's roof is too shallow and water pools up there and eventually seeps in at the edges. The addition is basically unusable until I can correct the problem.
Lane

I'll agree the roof is really nice. One way you can get your roof and reduce the rain you receive on the porch is to overlap the deck roof. To put it another way, build the deck roof a bit higher and extend it back over the house roof. You could take some tin and attach that so there's even less water but still not attached directly to the home. And as Robert said, CONCRETE the posts. I'd check your local codes, but most times it at least 18". Lowe's and Home Desperate have deck design on their websites which will tell you the supplies and the suggested minimum standards (but it also tells you to check your local codes) for decking and "how-to" requirements. Get the necessary permits as well. No need to have to tear it down cuz the code inspector doesn't take too kindly to your new deck!
oldfart

Well now folks Greg mentioned something I've been saying for years. Stop using those wurfless "decking boards." I use 2x6 treated lumber for all the flooring on my projects. Those 5/4 decking boards are just junk. They'll crack, split, warp and lift at every oppertunity. I won't even use that junk for steps, handrails or trim...and for the same reason. Using 2x4..2X6 or 2X8s doesn't cost any more and only requires a single 3in. screw to secure it instead of 3 piddling 1 1/2in. screws. And for screws go with Square-Drive or Posi-Drive screws. Phillips-head screws strip out too easy, break off or just plain won't hold. When ya start a project buy a 25lb. bucket of 3in. screws. I prefer #8s or even #10s. You'll use them all up on this project or another and the price is half the cost of them wankin' 5lb. boxes. And..use big screws. Why drive twice as many little screws when ye can use half that many bigguns?? If ya have to toenail..drill the hole with a counter-sink bit to avoid splits and cracks. Set up 2 drills and gitter done proper. Even if it's just a home-project..time is money. I sell my life 1 hour at a time..how much are you willing to waste? Alright..roll up yer sleeves and snatch up the drills and tighten up yer tool-belt. Lets build something! Audie..the oldfart...
Dirty White Boy

I have a large deck with a roof over it. I am going to be enclosing it this summer and decided the best way would be to build the frame attached to the deck and not the trailer...then I would seal it against the MH with flexable caulk.
cottonlily

Wow, all great advice. Thanks! We're definitely going to think it all through thoroughly before starting and we'll use a building plan.

We had talked about using the deck blocks if we built a deck in the back. But since this is a porch on the front, we think actually cementing the posts into the ground will look nicer. We're going to use 4x6s for that.

Very good advice about 2x6s instead of the decking boards. We have those now - very flimsy. They buckle and bend when you walk on them.

As for the roof...perhaps one attached to the 4x6s, but not the roof or exterior wall of the home? We have corrugated metal on the home so were wanted to use that on the porch to make it all look the same. I'm beginning to think a roof to be too complicated for us, given the "point" over the front door. Were it just one pitch I think we could manage ourselves.
Robin

Hi!

My hubby and I built our front porch this past spring. There's a pic of it in my gallery, if you want to take a look.

It was a lot of work. We built it in about 3 days. It's not attached to our mh anywhere. So I guess it's a free standing porch.

I cannot remember the exact measurements of it, seems like it might be 8x20. It's great! Wish we'd done it a few years ago! We've really enjoyed sitting out on summer evenings, well, except for the mosquitoes!