replacing a fireplace

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JasonNY

I installed a woodstove where my fireplace was on my 2000 fleetwood.You have to be very aware of your local regulations and when I installed mine I went way above all requirements.I removed my fireplace and redrywalled the opening into a recessed alcove all the way to the ceiling.Then I put down 1/2 inch concrete board,over that heavy guage sheet metal and over that 1/2 inch brick slices from Lowes.on the walls 4 ft up I installed concrete board spaced 1 inch from drywall with vents on botton for air circulation.I then installed heavy sheet metal over the outside of the concrete board. I bought a through the wall chimney kit from simpson duravent and went through the wall into the area where the fireplace chimney goes through the roof.I left the existing outer chimney pipe (12 inch dia) and ran the triplle wall woodstove chimney through the opening so its now quadruple wall.Then I built a chase over the pipe on the roof and installed a heavy sheet metal cap on top to center the chimney pipe exit.The whole job cost me about 900 dollars with the mh approved stove. The key is to understand all regulations and in my case go way beyond them for saftey.Costs me very little in propane all winter and was worth all the effort.