What is it?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD


Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:52 pm

What is this thing on my kitchen sink?Image


Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:16 pm

Maybe an outlet for a spray hose? Or a filtered cold drinking water tap?

Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:58 pm
Location: Edmonton,AB Canada

Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:38 pm

hmmmmmmmmm, kind of looks like a soap dispencer but not sure. if it is you should be able to un screw it jmo
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......

Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:27 pm

Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:51 pm

Have one on my sink also. I believe it is an air intake for the plumbing. When I run my dishwasher water comes out of it. I think i meed to take mine apart and clean it out.


Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:01 pm

Not for spray hose. Not for drinking water.

Air intake might be it, RumCreeker.

Would it be like a vent stack in a stick built? How do I clean it? Do I have to turn off the water to the house when I clean it?


Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:19 am

Yes it is a vent.


Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:52 am

Furball wrote:What is this thing on my kitchen sink?Image

google air admittance valves for more info on that gadget.


Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:58 pm

I googled that and found out how they work. It seems they wear out after about 10 years, so this one should probably be replaced. Any ideas of how it comes off and do I need to turn off the water at the main? I couldn't find any that looked like mine but I can check at Home Depot and Wal-Mart.

Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:08 pm

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:46 pm

That would be the air gap for the dishwasher. It allows the drain hose for the dishwasher to vent to prevent siphoning or back flow into the dishwasher when it drains so more water will drain.

They are carried by the home stores. Just ask for a dishwasher air gap in the plumbing dept.

To remove the unit. Hold or have someone hold the stem and hoses from under the cabinet. While holding use a pair of channel locks to loosen the silver cap above the sink by turning counter clockwise. Once the cap has been removed you should see that the unit is held to the sink by a plastic nut. It is much easier to remove the drain hoses before removing the nut. Loosen hose clamps to hoses and let excess water run into a bucket, be sure to remember what hose goes where. Once hoses are off, remove plastic nut and washer if needed and replace unit.
Experience is what you get after you need it.


Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Thanks. Great instructions.