Shrieking door bell

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Furball

Hi, guys. When I got up this morning, I had a small problem. I wear very strong hearing aids. When I put them in, I thought I was getting feedback from both of them. Feedback sounds like a smoke detector. I shook them and put them back in and still got the shrieking sound. I pushed the buttons on all three smoke alarms, but still heard the shrieking. I finally tracked it to my door bell. This is not a wired in bell, but was here when I moved in. I took it off the wall and went to get a screwdriver to open it up. When I came back, I put my hand on the back in preparation for unscrewing, and the shrieking stopped. I discovered the whole body pulls out of the cover. Inside were three D batteries. I took them out to prevent further shrieking.

Does anyone know what would cause this? Could it be the batteries were low? Is it more likely to be something in the circuit board? It is a Trine model 50G. I don't want to buy batteries unless that's the likely problem, because I'm very low on funds.
Greg

Hi Furb. It could be some type of RF interfearence since they use some type of transmitter for the bell, try contacting your hearing aid rep and see what they say. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Demolition

Here's a solution - MORE COWBELL
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Furball

Greg, I understand about the RF interference, like when your garage door opens from someone else's remote. But would that cause it to shriek rather than just keep going ding-dong?

Demolition, I don't understand about the cow bell.
Greg

Ok, I just reread your first post. Are you hearing the noise JUST through the aids or is the bell actually making the shreeking. If the bell is making the noise, try different batteries. If the noise is only coming through the aids I would suspect a RF problem.
Cowbell??? Greg
Demolition

More Cowbell is a phrase from a SNL (saturday night live) skit that aired on April 8, 2000

It was Actor Christopher Walken who was playing the Manager of the Band Blue Oyster Cult

He said, "I got a fever, and the only prescription...
is more cowbell!"

Just google "More Cowbell" for more info.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
scty2hty3

LOL demolation i agree we need more COW BELL.
Furball

Greg, if it was the hearing aids, I'd call my audiologist. The shrieking comes from the actual door bell. Okay, I'll try new batteries.

I don't think you can get RF interference on hearing aids, since there's no remote control.
Greg

Most likely the batteries. I was not sure if your hearing aids were picking up a strange signal at first. Greg
Sylvia

I'd have the audiologist look at your aids. They can play with the settings to make sure that doesn't happen.
Furball

Sylvia,
It's not my hearing aids. The sound was coming from the doorbell.

Greg,
Today I have put in new batteries (got 4 D batteries for $1 a the dollar store). They're made by Sunbeam. I didn't know Sunbeam made batteries. So far, no shrieking.

Furb
Greg

Glad it worked out.
Sunbeam most likely buys them from some big importer and puts their label on them, many companies do that. Greg
Furball

When I was putting in the batteries, one came loose and the doorbell started shrieking again. So, maybe one had come loose or maybe one had died and that set it off the first time.