Carpet tiles? Anyone use them in mobile home?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

I am interested in carpet tiles. Has anyone used them? Do you like them? I think these would be perfect with kids and pets in the mobile home. Anyone have an opinion?
Mark
Site Admin

I haven't personally used them, but on occasion I do see places where they are installed -- mainly commercial places tho. If you spent the time to properly prep the floor area, they'd probably work OK.

My personal preference is to just buy the carpet in 10, 12' or 14' wide rolls and install it that way. Even 16' wide rolls may be available to order from places that sell carpeting.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Furball

A few years back there was a discussion about this. Several people said they had them and liked them very much. At least one person had a large dog and the dog did not dislodge them. Keep several extra to replace any that get badly stained.
Demolition

I used to work at a carpet store, so here's my two cents.

PLUS - If one square gets dirty you can replace it.
MINUS - When the floor gets cold, the tiles shrink and that is when they also get loose.
MINUS - The glue sometimes sticks to the wood floor, sometimes it don't. Because the glue is designed for sticking the carpet tile to concrete.
MINUS - When a tile is loose, it is a safety hazard.

Unless you already got the tiles for free,
costwise roll carpet will be your best option

When they build a mobile home, they put the carpet down, then SET the HOUSE down ON TOP of the carpet.

Just get a utility knife and cut the old stuff as close as you can. But don't be in a hurry. Remember, you are playing with a knife.

If you can get BERBER PAD, it is Thinner.
More expensive but more durable.
You can get cheap carpet if you have good pad.

Get Carpet that Matches your lifestyle.
If you have 3 kids that ride dirtbikes, don't get white carpet.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
StillKavey

I have to say I dont like em much. I had some.. with kids (at least curious ones) they arent good. And a dog unless its a very well behaved one.. again a bad idea.

I put them in a 4 year olds bedroom.. well after he worked the heat vent out of the floor he then found the edge of one carpet tile. It lead to the rest.. so when we came in his room we found a stack of tiles torn to heck and back ;)

Well after I mended all that up and my ex moved out my dog was enjoying that room.. he had no problem destroying the whole room full while I was at work.

To each his own.. but Id rather have a solid peice of carpet around kids or animals.. with just adults these look decent and all.. but with the curious at mind.. not so well.
Sylvia

We checked out the price and went with laminate flooring instead. It would have been cheaper for regular carpet but our master bedroom was a few feet too wide and DH was no longer comfortable having it be a DIY project with the seam.
garrett_reukauf

Laminate flooring in the master bedroom??? Seems like that would be kinda cool in the winter. And have to keep sweepin' the dang thang all the time. I used to live in an apt bldg and the whole apt was tile floor. ICKY! I was so happy to have carpeting back in my life. Lots warmer on the toes and doesnt seem like you are always cleaning the floors.
Sylvia

This is actually a concrete basement floor. We haven't gotten to the coldest months to determine how cold it will actually be. We do have small area rugs and slippers though, and the fireplace to boot :~)
I shudder to think about the amount of gunk that's in carpets after having the laminate and cleaning it. The same amount of dirt is on a carpeted floor, it's just harder to see and sinks down into it. We have a carpet cleaner come once a year for the living room and hallway upstairs and the water he sucks out of the carpet is truly disgusting.
My only gripe about the lamintate downstairs is the pitter patter of little paws during the night.
Furball

Do you have a two-floor mobile home? I've seen pictures of them but never had seen one with my own eyes.
Yanita

HI Furball,

Sylvia had a full basement put in under her home. I believe there are pictures of the process in her personal photo album.

Also the MH's you are seeing that are 2 story are not mobile homes they are Modular homes. There are no steel I beams under these homes.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Sylvia

Technically I suppose it could be considered a two story home now. We couldn't really go out or up so we built down.
betty_joanne

Will home depot, lowes, empire today, etc. install carpet in a mobile home?

Of course they will! They're just as happy to take your money as someone who lives in a stick-built home.