preventing condensation on new metal roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cre8vmynd

i am going to put a new corrgated metal roof on my existing factory seamed roof like marks book shows. my concern though is that the space under the new metal would allow condensation that would drip onto the foam insulation board. any thoughts?

i have a 1991 cavalier, 14x60 with a peaked roof, and i live in southwest missouri.
dollmaker9

Hi, I am new on here, but really enjoy reading all the info people bring in here. I am also wanting to put on a new roof, I live in the timber with alot of trees close to my home,, I wonder what would be the wisest thing to do on my older flat roof mobil home, a new metal roof or maybe the foam.I have already gotten a price on a foam , but with trees so close by not sure this is the best rout to go. any thoughts on this? :roll:
Maureen

Hi cre8vmynd,

I can't really answer your question. We do have a metal roof over, but it was professionally installed about 9 years ago. We haven't had any condensation problems, but then we live in a very dry area.

Welcome to the forum dollmaker9! You'll find a great bunch of people here willing to help with all of your mobile home questions! We're all just one big happy family!

I'll answer your question here in this post, but we really prefer that you create a new topic for each question. Several reasons for this. First, it makes it easier for us moderators to tell if your question has been answered. Second, things always gets a little off topic from the original posters questions. New topics make sure that everyone is taken care of!

If you live in an area with trees, go for the metal roof over! It will stand up much better to any damage by the trees and it's better in case of fires. It's also just a better roof that will last longer!

Maureen

8)
JD
Site Admin

I agree with Maureen. I would add that if you are in a wooded area, it is important to clean off all leaves and other debris occasionally. The foam roofs will not like a lot of traffic. Foams roofs usually have a thin top coat which is the first line of defense against leaks. Also, when branches fall, they can damage this top coat. Metal will take more abuse. You will find leaf build-up easier to push off of the metal roof than the foam. You may even want to wash it once in a while to keep the surface smooth and clean.

The single-ply "rubber" roofs may not be a good choice. The leaves will soak up with water and the weight will cause water to pond. Most single ply roofs can hold up pretty good to ponding water, but it is just a matter of time before it creates problems. Also, the single ply roofs may not do to well with a falling branch.

Just my thoughts.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.